Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing DLL

On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Default Missing DLL

Today, Xara Web Designer Premium 12 will not load. The message says msvcr120.dll is missing. There are many copies of this dll on my system but where does Xara want to find it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DLL-missing.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	126464

Default Re: Missing DLL

that looks like a Visual C++ corruption to me - Visual C++ is a microsoft windows package and a dependancy for the xara programs - ie without it working properly the xara program cannot run

xara is one of many programs that will install the Visual C++ Resistributable Package as part of it's own install - this sometimes causes problems

you can end up with lots of duplicate installations, here are [some of] mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-03-06 07_39_47-Control Panel_Programs_Programs and Features.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	126465

this explains [probably] why there are many copies of the DLL on your computer, but xara can no longer access what it needs

try reinstalling your xara program which may fix the Visual C++ version that it needs - if that does not work you can try reinstalling the latest Visual C++ downloded from microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...al-c-downloads

do not, under any circumstances, download the package from anywhere other than microsoft or anything else that claims to fix this issue; it is rife with scammers and hackers...

EDIT - before you do any of that try right clicking the program and run as administrator - just in case a windows update or similar has upset the applecart
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the advice, handrawn. Running as Admin gives me the same error message. I reinstalled the latest Visual C++ version, but no joy.

As the program won't run, I can't upgrade. No longer a subscriber, I can't reinstall (or I don't know how to). I also have Xara Web Designer Premium on my laptop, where it runs fine. Can I somehow utilize that working copy to fix the one on my desktop?

I have a ticket in to Magix to see if they can help resolve the issue. I don't know what my status as an "old" customer is with them.

I'm using a trusty old copy of Xara; msvcr120.dll was installed in 2013! There are two copies that Xara uses in the following locations--bearing in mind yours are different now, but just in case this helps...

C:/Program Files/Xara/Xara Designer Pro X/12/Panorama Studio
    C:/Windows/System32

Perhaps the best option for you is to search for msvcp120.dll and add your msvcr120.dll there. Worked for me many years ago when I had the same problem as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    I'm using a trusty old copy of Xara; msvcr120.dll was installed in 2013! There are two copies that Xara uses in the following locations--bearing in mind yours are different now, but just in case this helps...

C:/Program Files/Xara/Xara Designer Pro X/12/Panorama Studio
    C:/Windows/System32

Perhaps the best option for you is to search for msvcp120.dll and add your msvcr120.dll there. Worked for me many years ago when I had the same problem as you.
    I tried that and just got a different error message. Bummer!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error-message.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	126468

Let me see if someone from Xara can have a look at this thread. Might not be until Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Let me see if someone from Xara can have a look at this thread. Might not be until Monday.
    Thanks, Gary. Much appreciated.
    Glen

your download installer and activation key should be in your magix account - assuming you bought from xara/magix

type uninstall program into the windows search and it should take you to the uninstall settings, at least with windows 10 - somwwhere along the line you may get an option to 'repair' which you can try

if you are out of update service this may result in the program falling back, but if it is the same computer hopefully not; if it does xara/magix really do have some questions to answer

hopefully they will also be able to help, so it might be best to wait for a reply in case there is an easier fix...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    your download installer and activation key should be in your magix account - assuming you bought from xara/magix

type uninstall program into the windows search and it should take you to the uninstall settings, at least with windows 10 - somwwhere along the line you may get an option to 'repair' which you can try

if you are out of update service this may result in the program falling back, but if it is the same computer hopefully not; if it does xara/magix really do have some questions to answer

hopefully they will also be able to help, so it might be best to wait for a reply in case there is an easier fix...
    Thanks, handrawn, I will try that. Yes, I'm using Win-10, but didn't think of your suggestion. I'm not looking for easy, just a fix.

I've noticed from some threads that Magix support is not being responsive. Ironically, that's what has prevented me from upgrading, wondering if the program will be abandoned. I suspect many more are also on the sidelines. Strong support is essential for any product to be successful, IMHO.

This forum is a saving grace for Xara. I hope you are appreciated by more than just the user group. Kind regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Windjamer View Post
    Today, Xara Web Designer Premium 12 will not load. The message says msvcr120.dll is missing. There are many copies of this dll on my system but where does Xara want to find it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DLL-missing.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	126464
    What I find bothersome, is Xara does not care about a re-installation not restoring you back to the program you had. I would be most reluctant to re-install from v12.8.1.50861 as Xara has only made accessible v12.4.1.

"I'm not looking for easy, just a fix."
    You could try registering the DLL with following https://ss64.com/nt/regsvr32.html.

cmd > Run as administrator > Yes
    cd to path where msvcr120.dll resides.
    REGSVR32 msvcr120.dllMore detail in https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...error-messages.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat