Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One up for the good guys.

I have spoken to these scammers more times than I can remember. They make people's lives a misery.

At least this time one of the good guys had a victory.

If you are in the UK and didn't see 'Panorama' watch it.

The good guy posted on youtube.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le71yVPh4uk

Default Re: One up for the good guys.

oh yes -I like to get 'geeky' or just walk away on a pretext 'just need to get the mouse' and leave them hanging.... watching the panorama is on my to do list
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    oh yes -I like to get 'geeky' or just walk away on a pretext 'just need to get the mouse' and leave them hanging.... watching the panorama is on my to do list
    You will be shocked by the money they were making and saddened by the recordings of the poor people on the phone wondering how they could possibly pay to get their computer back. One guy had no money left to buy his groceries.

The ethical hacker got hold of the CCTV feed and listened to the conversations, he also sees the spreadsheets of the scammed money and we listen to the big boss taking in his office. He wanted to be a big-time Indian entrepreneur..

Thank god my mother doesn't have a computer, but the scammers calling her on the phone make her life a misery.

my mother just says 'my son deals with all that, if you give me your number i'll get him to ring you back' be it money, computers, or anything else.. not often I get to ring back
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    my mother just says 'my son deals with all that, if you give me your number i'll get him to ring you back' be it money, computers, or anything else.. not often I get to ring back
    My mother is a law unto herself and the calls really upset her, but she is very set in her ways so it's difficult. She's in her eighties and she "knows" they are crooks calling her, but she still wants to contact her bank to tell them about it - as though they can put a stop to it.

I had a guy on the doorstep last summer - he had a go at scamming me - he was so insistent that I thought we would be fighting on the doorstep. I know my mother would have had a big problem if he appeared on her doorstep.

He was from the "Environmental Health" and had a few questions. I asked to see his ID. He left it in the car with his colleague. I said I'd wait while he went to get it. He wanted to ask a couple of questions first. I wasn't having any of it. He became quite agitated. Next he wanted a cup of tea! I sent him packing and followed him at a distance. He clocked me, ran around the corner and I saw him and his accomplice make off in a van. Couldn't get the number.

I know what would have happened if he'd gained entry. His accomplice would have knocked and asked to use the toilet and then we would have had a distraction burglary going on.

B****s

ah the joys of living in urban berkshire - I did live down the line from you in basingstoke back in the '80s for 18 months or so...

of course we rural types get our scammers too [and sheep rustlers], and petty theives... there is an online local area watch that sends email notifications and to which you can report, very useful

i would be tempted to say - oh my brother works there, hang on I'll just give him a ring.. and ring said nwatch.. if the guy hang around long enough...
    Nothing lasts forever...

This guy has way too much time on his hands. He is really good.

Indians literally have the most distinct accents and they expect us to believe that their names are “Mark Robinson” or other English name.

Quote Originally Posted by 1alexie View Post
    Indians literally have the most distinct accents and they expect us to believe that their names are “Mark Robinson” or other English name.
    I don't think the bad guys will be offering their real names in any event.

you cannot assume anyway; in the UK after 2/3 generation or so, the second name at least could be anything; reckon be the same elsewhere where there is ethnic mix
    Nothing lasts forever...