Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Desktop Application Versions

I feel old

@Daniel, thanks for the trip down memory lane. I decide to start as v11 as before that time Xara was casual about CD releases and the detail about the version were less obvious.

You can see the confusion even today with the variety of names out there.

I go back to !ArtWorks v1.5.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'd don't even remember Xs

X1 and Xtreme 2006 I have....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I'd don't even remember Xs
    I don't think there was any reason that you would have even seen it. It was given away free on some magazine covermounted CDs as either a slightly limited or an older version of a contemporary release - which was available as a cheap upgrade to readers of the magazine.

It wasn't quite a modern day Xara Webster because it was more fully featured. I'm not sure what Webster was ever intended for - at the time there was a free Xara web browser plugin so it wasn't just so that non-Xara users could open .xar files. I wonder how the internet could've been different if .xar and .web files were widely adopted back in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I don't think there was any reason that you would have even seen it. It was given away free on some magazine covermounted CDs as either a slightly limited or an older version of a contemporary release - which was available as a cheap upgrade to readers of the magazine.
    That's how it all started for me, a free CD that came with a magazine. I can't remember which magazine it was but XS was the beginning of a long and enjoyable series of yearly (mostly) updates, all the way up to XDP 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I go back to !ArtWorks v1.5
    I think anyone who recognises your avatar would believe that
    I used Artworks and Impression Junior and later Publisher, but only owned Impression Style.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

It wasn't quite a modern day Xara Webster because it was more fully featured. I'm not sure what Webster was ever intended for - at the time there was a free Xara web browser plugin so it wasn't just so that non-Xara users could open .xar files. I wonder how the internet could've been different if .xar and .web files were widely adopted back in 1999.
    I remember those CD's - thats how i got, my first Xara program too, Xara X [the one with the face on the cover] in 2003, it was a trial; Xara X1 came out the next year... I'm a squirrel, I'll have the Xara X CD somewhere....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Xara Desktop Application Versions

Latest addition:
    • 17.0.0.58732 12 March 2020.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Latest addition:
    • 17.0.0.58732 12 March 2020.

Can you already give us an idea of which new features are included?

Edit: I just saw the other thread where you mention that you're trying to figure out what is new. I'll just wait patiently. :-)

Info Re: Xara Desktop Application Versions

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Can you already give us an idea of which new features are included?
    Edit: I just saw the other thread where you mention that you're trying to figure out what is new. I'll just wait patiently. :-)
    I am still downloading content (with niggling errors of missing files) and I have been working with bowj2 on a position statement around the Update Service.

Meantime, look in:
    • Help > Contents: Paragraph background and borders.
    • Help > Search: Tab Leaders.
    • E-books - yippee.

At least the Help files have some additions; the PDF Manual is still v16!

I also searched the catindex.txt files for the latest revision:

• Search "Folder Revision:58048" (16 hits in 16 files)
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\components\im agecomponents\photogrids2_15_1\static169\catindex. txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\components\im agecomponents\photogrids2_15_1\staticsquare\catind ex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\components\im agecomponents\photopanels_16_1\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\components\la youtcomponents\arrows_16_1\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\components\la youtcomponents\tables_16_0\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\components\la youtcomponents\widgets\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\ebooks_17_0\a udio\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\ebooks_17_0\f ollowus\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\ebooks_17_0\l andscape\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\ebooks_17_0\m arketing\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\ebooks_17_0\r estaurant\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\ebooks_17_0\s ecurity\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\ebooks_17_0\u ser_journey\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\ebooks_17_0\y oungbrand\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\print\cards_1 6_0\catindex.txt
    • \Xara\XtremePro\17\Cache\designs\eng\social\instag ram\catindex.txt

Slim pickings but I am hoping there are other Revisions in there since October last.

Acorn