Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: four flowers

I got some time for myself, so I finnished this one too. It was a balancing act between creating a "Velvet Elvis" or something cute/interesting [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Does it work or is it a "Velvet Elvis"?

I used a B/W "Dover" line drawing as reference for the main subject.

Risto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fourflowers.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	5323  

I got some time for myself, so I finnished this one too. It was a balancing act between creating a "Velvet Elvis" or something cute/interesting [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Does it work or is it a "Velvet Elvis"?

I used a B/W "Dover" line drawing as reference for the main subject.

Risto

It works. Not a velvet elvis.

Regards, Ross

Risto

It is a most handsome and elegant image. But what is a velvet elvis? Is this something I have missed being too involved in things made of gel?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...

Hi Risto,

Excellent drawing!

Ross - your alias is showing "QueenE".

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Soquili - Actually, "Ross" is my alias. Please don't tell anyone I'm really Queen Elizabeth II. I'm hiding out here in Nova Scotia to get away from Fergie and the tabloids. Nobody here recognizes me. (Stupid colonials!)

Regards, Liz - err... I mean ROSS!

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Risto -- Your image is definitely VE -- as in very elegant, not velvet elvis.

Gary -- My understanding of a "velvet elvis" is one of those tacky images (in this case, Elvis Presley) done on black velvet, inserted into an equally tacky frame and produced, en masse and otherwise, for sale in Las Vegas and other artistic capitals.

I suspect that velvet elvises may be a uniquely American art form -- even when they're produced in Taiwan. <g>

Allison

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Here's an interesting velvet painting link. The example with JonBonet Ramsey is without a doubt a highpoint in this art form. I also checked out some velvet elvis sites but the quality of images was disappointing (if that's possible).

Risto, if you really were serious about your art, you could make quite a splash in the velvet painting world! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Of course I'm only kidding about that. You've already made a big splash in the Xara world. Please stay with us...

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Awww... I was getting all excited and ready to call all my friends about the Queenie's visit when I noticed she signed it "Ross" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Then this Queen claims that "Ross" is just an alias, so I'm getting excited again! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It just occured to me that if you look at the picture of "Ross" and squint - it does look alot like the Queen, doesn't it? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary! Sheeeeesh! You have missed a whole art form to "enjoy". The link that Ross (using the alias) posted will take you to some "good" ones. Some of the pictures of Elvis will make your eyes bleed [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the encouragement!

Risto

Allison said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Gary -- My understanding of a "velvet elvis" is one of those tacky images (in this case, Elvis Presley) done on black velvet, inserted into an equally tacky frame and produced, en masse and otherwise, for sale in Las Vegas and other artistic capitals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Las Vegas has everything from the tacky to the sublime. In five minutes you can go from learning everything you ever wanted to know about Elvis at the Elvis-A-Rama Museum to picking up a few baubles at Tiffanys. Ain't it wonderful! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Mickie

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves
    for they shall never cease to be amused
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lvMap.gif 
Views:	279 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	2760