Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: No my question was not complete. thread was closed before my final comments

Thanks for the information, @Acorn.

I checked the info.xml file in each of my WDP folders.

For v17, v16, and v15, each shows exactly the same thing:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    -<root>
    <registered>true</registered>
    <pugdate>2021-03-03</pugdate>
    <versionValid>true</versionValid>
    </root>

Interestingly, for v12, it shows a different pugdate:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    -<root>
    <registered>true</registered>
    <pugdate>2018-09-04</pugdate>
    <versionValid>true</versionValid>
    </root>

I can only assume that browj2 is right. Magix “thinks” I purchased two different copies of WDP… one when v12 was current, and the second when v15 was current. The latter is the one that I am currently using, and my fallback version should be determined by the most recent time I renewed it… last September = v16.
    When I contacted Magix last week, they apparently saw the entry for the first purchase, and based on that, told me my fallback was v12.
    The logic of their error is becoming clear… but the logic of the earlier error, of assigning me two product registrations, is still a mystery.
    I plan to send them another message to try to get to the bottom of the issue.
    Thanks again.

Default Re: No my question was not complete. thread was closed before my final comments

Greg, my pugdate for v12 is the same as my others so your logic seems accurate.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Good morning / afternoon to all!

Just to finalize the earlier issue that I introduced in this thread. Today it is resolved.

The timeline:
    26 March: I sent the initial inquiry, with all the information my name and account number, asking for my fallback version of WDP.
    27 March: Magix responded to inform me that my fallback version is v12.
    30 March: After the discussion here on talkgraphics, I sent a follow-up email explaining that I apparently have two different products registered, with the serial number of the most recent.
    31 March: Magix responded with installation instructions. (!?) (No mention of the issue of my inquiry.)

31 March: I began a new support ticket (wipe the slate clean). I again sent an explanation of the issue, this time more exhaustive in detail. It included my name, account number, serial number, order number, the dates of all transactions, and a mention of Magix’s mistake in assigning me a second serial number the first time I renewed.
    1 April: Magix responded to request the most recent order number. (It had already been provided!)
    1 April: I sent the order number.
    2 April: Magix responded, providing me with the serial number of my product (which I had already provided to them!) and installation instructions.
    2 April: I sent a message informing them that their response was irrelevant and to please reread my earlier emails.
    3 April: Magix responded, confirming (finally) that I have two registered versions of WDP.
    3 April: I sent a message to thank them for confirming their error , and once again to ask for my current fallback version, providing once again the serial number and order number.
    6 April: SUCCESS! Finally, I get an answer:
    “Hello,
    If the updateservice is not current and you will make a new installation you will get version 16.
    Best regards,
    MAGIX Computer Products International Co.”

So, what did I learn?
    1) As browj2 insisted, and as I had always assumed up until the 27 March email, the fallback version is indeed determined by the last time you renewed your subscription.
    2) Magix (sales department) answers emails once per day, Monday to Friday. It’s definitely not the place to go for urgent issues. (Fortunately, the members of talkgraphics are quicker and more reliable!)
    3) Magix (sales department) can’t be bothered to pay attention to the text of your inquiry. I find it truly absurd that it takes so many correspondences to get a question answered simply because they make no effort to understand the question.

Thanks to all who replied in this thread with advice. I’m glad I forced the issue with Magix.

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    So, what did I learn?
    1) As browj2 insisted, and as I had always assumed up until the 27 March email, the fallback version is indeed determined by the last time you renewed your subscription.
    I think that's been stated many times over on TG for several years even.

Exclamation Re: No my question was not complete. thread was closed before my final comments

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Sorry to have to dig into this a bit more:
    From Kate Moir (http://shared.xara.com/diNpZUgi2O/ as referenced in https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ng-Explained):
    When do my 365 days start?
    If you are purchasing for the first time then the 365 days start at the time of registration.
    If you order in the Magix online store then your copy is registered at the time of purchase, so only if you purchase offline might your date of registration be later than the date of purchase.

If you are renewing an Update Service then the new 365 days will start from expiry date of your current Update Service, even if you purchase sooner. This allows you to take advantage of promotion offers before your current Update Services expires.

If you renew after expiry, the 365 days will start from the date you purchase the renewal.
    1. Online New Purchase: Registered Date is Date of Purchase.
    2. Offline New Purchase: Registered Date is Date of Registration.
    3. Update when Update Service is active: Registered Date plus Number of renewed updates times years.
    4. Online Renewal after Update Service Expiry: Registered Date is New Date of Purchase.
    5. Offline Renewal after Update Service Expiry: Registered Date is New Date of Registration.

• I suggest MagiXara reconsider Option 1 and align with Option 2. I have had issues with immediate registration (account details mangled by Magix; Magix servers down) as well as end-user choice and convenience. This approach is not fair practice.
    • Option 3 is sensible.
    • Option 4 should align with Option 5; Xara has not advised there is an Option 5.

I would recommend for all future purchases, the Customer should advise MagiXara they have limited Internet availabilty and therefore need an offline purchase and that Magix confirm the Registration Date is prime.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

While it may seem important, compared to the userbase the traffic here on this subject is tiny so I doubt anything will change anytime soon.

If it was causing an issues for Magix support then changes would already have happened.

My last post on the thread that will not go away!

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I know, pauland. But when Magix told me something different, I questioned that we were not all under the wrong impression.

My last post on the thread that will not go away!
    My fault. Not meant to annoy. But if the first email from Magix had been correct, and we WERE all under the wrong impression; I felt obligated to let others know. Apologies.

Thus:
    My last post.

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    Not meant to annoy. But if the first email from Magix had been correct, and we WERE all under the wrong impression; I felt obligated to let others know. Apologies.
    Not annoyed and no need to apologise!

If you have more to say or ask, carry on!