Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: No my question was not complete. thread was closed before my final comments

The 365 model isn't correct anyway. In a previous thread of which I am not sure how to find, on one day XDPX worked just fine. I "did not" change hard drive "did not" reinstall the very next day when I started XDPX I got a screen that I needed to register it. I have no clue what happened as I had not changed anything. When I tried to register it, it would not let me as it said that I had used my 2 installs on 2 computers, I was on one of the 2 computers still am. After contacting xara support and having them remove the computer I was on so I could reregister it, it would not work so at that point I had to reinstall to get XDPX to work again and be able to reregister it on the same computer. Lost all of my updates that I had from the previous year. My point being is I did nothing for it to require me to reregister or reinstall it quit working all on its own as it was working just fine when I went to bed the previous evening. Yet because of what the program did I lost all of my updates. So don't think it can't happen and with their model you are back to square one!!!! They should have a way that you can save your updates without them disappearing into thin air once they install since they are going to require you to go back to square one if there is ever a problem whether it is your fault or their programs fault!!!!

Default Re: No my question was not complete. thread was closed before my final comments

buying separately, owning the use indefinitely no matter what computer i use in the future, only buying what i need, no risk of getting locked into an update cycle.. that all sounds good to me....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

there is a way to save the update at the time they are ready to install - see the other thread as i mentioned in post #3 here
    Nothing lasts forever...

@handrawn I read your previous post and that would have been helpful back when I could still get updates. One should not have to do work around just to save a update since it will be taken from them if they should ever have to reinstall. Why not just make update a download that I can install myself that way I could at least have the option of saving my updates in a folder for future use. Instead one has to use a work around such as you have shown.

Exclamation Re: No my question was not complete. thread was closed before my final comments

This is an interesting page to work from: https://www.magix.com/gb/photo-graph...pdate-history/.

Initially, many excitements around Templates and Templates and Photo Filters until SmartShapes erupted.
    More meaty delivery from Oct 2018 then SmartShapes and SmartShapes.
    Web page scaling and Object SVG export.
    Finally, PDF/X cropping and Saved angles.

Forecast: v17.0 late March 2020, a five-month wait for - Templates, tweaks to some SmartShapes and little else.
    This is because Xara Cloud has all the developers and the desktop applications have to play keep up. There have been some good cross-overs between the SaaS environment and the Desktop but keeping the two locked will always be a drag on the Desktop: SaaS Xara Cloud has 70 updates to a questionable 7 for the Desktop.

Xara 365 service was still in play for v15 so only one major version back.

Acorn

Update History Version
    April 2017 v12.6 or thereabouts
    July 2017 v12.8
    December 2017 v15.0
    March 2018 ???
    June 2018 v15.1
    October 2018 v16.0
    March 2019 v16.1
    June 2019 v16.2
    October 2019 v16.3
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@browj2
    What are the chances that you will have to reinstall after the end of the one year period? Likely not very high unless you are planning on getting a new computer or something. Then you have almost no problem.
    I have had some computers for 6-10 years, well past their prime. I don't like moving into new machines. I have had experiences that were not complete failures, but damaged sectors on drives so certain software needed to be reinstalled. No virus, trojan, or malware caused the problems. Even careful users of computers can have unexpected hardware issues. One brand new DELL died at 5 months old. Drive would not fire up at all. even in an envelope trying to just get data extracted. It was a nightmare. Years ago a gentleman I used to help with website, bought a machine with C: mirrored to D:. C eventually died so he took his machine to "the pc guy" he knew to move D into C slot. Instead, "the pc guy" took out the C, reformatted D and my friend was left with nothing.
    So YES having the ability to reinstall is vital for me. Knowing what I can reinstall is vital for me. If you have not had any of these issues you are indeed lucky.

@GypsyJoe
    I agree. I am moving into a new laptop so have gone through several software installs. Some make it easy, simple. Place update.exe files in same folder as the install file for easy storage. The way this is done poor. And the information from Xara/Magix is poor.

@Handrawn
    I installed v16 on my old monster computer. Thankfully it stayed on long enough for me to register, get the update file (move to external drive) and deregister the machine. Then 11 minutes later...blue screen. You and @Acorn have been so helpful with the program and the content. Getting the files onto the external, with notes, I feel so much better. I hope and pray this new machine gives me many years of service. If it doesn't at least I can rebuild my Xara.
    buying separately, owning the use indefinitely no matter what computer i use in the future, only buying what i need, no risk of getting locked into an update cycle.. that all sounds good to me....
    I agree 100%

@Acorn
    Forecast: v17.0 late March 2020, a five-month wait for - Templates, tweaks to some SmartShapes and little else.
    Well, 6 weeks after my purchase of 16, the new version will come out. (heavy sigh)
    I'm not going to install it. Don't want to get used to a feature that I will lose if I reinstall.
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease that it is not something I will be desperate to have.
    I am so glad I came to post. I wouldn't have captured the content, or the update file, learned what has happened since I last purchased.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

new question.

Established: If I reinstall my v16, I can apply the 16.3 update to it since that is the version that was active as of date of purchase

At end of March another update is scheduled. IF I were to allow it into my machine, and IF I were to copy it to an external drive, upon reinstall a year or so from now, would the program accept the March 2020 update because I already have it locally?
    The program has expiry file which stores DATE, not VERSION in the expiry info.
    So I see one of these things happening:
    EITHER:
    - it reads the 365 service expiry date Feb 2021 and says yes, that update was within the 365 days, allows install
    OR:
    - it reads the 365 service expiry date Feb 2021 and says NO, the update is past 16.3 so not allowed.

I wonder if it would allow the install.... HMMMM

Has anyone tested this?
    If I could keep the monster machine working for another year, it would be worth the test on that machine...
    Not for daily use, just reinstall beyond 365 days....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	- Update Service expire file.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	126448
    Last edited by samrc; 03 March 2020 at 12:43 AM. Reason: add pic
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Samantha, provided you are covered by the Update service, any re-install will allow up to the current and latest version.
    A re-install or load must require registration or you just end up with a Trial.

The only sane way to run and keep your last version after Update Service expiry is to install into a virtual machine.
    I am sure this would count as one of your two allowed installs but the advantage is you can port to almost any other physical machine there after.
    The harder way might be to perform a complete backup.

I have pointed out to Xara that the storing of the Cache in %LocalAppDat% is somewhat contentious as you have the joy of losing it on top of the issue around versioning if a machine dies.

Acorn

P.S. It is always better to raise a new question in a new Thread.
    Perhaps a kind Mod will pare this question off for you.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The harder way might be to perform a complete backup.

I have pointed out to Xara that the storing of the Cache in %LocalAppDat% is somewhat contentious as you have the joy of losing it on top of the issue around versioning if a machine dies.
    I have a daily backup that will capture as an image [clone] all of C: - I think, though i have never yet had to test it, that would facilitate extraction from LocalAppData - certainly that cloned image can be mounted on any windows computer, [that has the backup software installed], as a full virtual drive, and data can be accessed and extracted

EDIT:- is there and opens in the program spot check on mounted backup image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-03-03 11_38_14-L__AppData_Local_Xara_Xtreme_16_Cache_designs_eng_print_cards_16_0.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	126451

may have to rebuild the catalog if actually restoring ?

As far as the program goes, it usually wants to check for reactivation after an image restore - if I am doing this deliberately I will deactivate the xara program before making the image just to be safe, but I have not yet had to test this outside of an active update service period...
    Last edited by handrawn; 03 March 2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: clarity and addition
    Nothing lasts forever...

I am not going to add to this thread full of tales of woe and worries about future updates and future-proofing, but doesn't this and all the other threads along similar lines suggest to anyone of sane mind that this is proof of poor decision making by MagiXara? If it were not for Talkgraphics.com and the likes of Acorn and Handrawn, all users of Xara would probably be shouting into a void. It is all very well making provisions for impending disaster, but I see nothing new in the 'flagship' product in recent years to worry about any loss that might cause one to revert to an earlier version.

The version that anyone has installed on their hard drive is probably the one that performs the job that is intended. Backing up the .exe file to an external drive or two is probably all that is required. If one asks oneself the question, 'What will I lose as a result of having to reinstall an earlier version from the last year or two?' the answer will be 'not very much' in all honesty. Stumping up hard-earned dosh for very little return doesn't seem like a fair return, unless, like Acorn you want to be current in order to pose pertinent questions to MagiXara.

I think the answer is to just carry on as if nothing has happened - it is a state of affairs that has been on-going for a few years now in any case.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.