Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: No my question was not complete. thread was closed before my final comments

@browj2

It’s true that my v11 purchase was entirely independent of the 365 subscription. In fact, I waited quite some time after its introduction before I began my subscription.

I have no idea why I was given a new code when I renewed the first time but not the second… I never even noticed until I was preparing the message I sent to Magix a couple of days ago.

But I assure you that both times were renewals… never a new purchase. I even checked my records to confirm this:

The original confirmation from 2017 reads:
    Xara Web Designer Premium 365
    (RES…)
    1x $39.00

The subsequent email from 2018 reads:
    Upgrade: Xara Web Designer Premium
    Create your own professional websites
    (RES…)
    1x $49.99

And the most recent from 2019 reads:
    (RES…)
    1x $49.99

I am definitely not arguing with your logic. I always had the same impression as you do. And I think that what you say is the way it SHOULD be.
    However, getting the response directly from Magix that it is not so… that the renewal payments do not entitle me to the more recent fallback from the time of renewal… I simply wanted to advise everyone that they may have a false impression of how the Magix policy works.

Default Re: No my question was not complete. thread was closed before my final comments

@Acorn

Thanks for the information.

When I open WDPv16, and click Help > About, the popup shows:
    Xara Web Designer Premium 16.3.0.57723 DL x64 Oct 25 2019
    With Update Service code is 4303 KA4

When I open WDPv17, it shows:
    Xara Web Designer Premium 17.0.0.58775 DL x64 Mar 17 2020
    Update Service code: 4310 KA1

Unfortunately, I did not record the version that was current on the date of renewal, 4 September 2019.

Also unfortunately, I have no idea how this information reveals my standing wrt the fallback version. Could you share if you know?

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    @browj2

It’s true that my v11 purchase was entirely independent of the 365 subscription. In fact, I waited quite some time after its introduction before I began my subscription.

I have no idea why I was given a new code when I renewed the first time but not the second… I never even noticed until I was preparing the message I sent to Magix a couple of days ago.

But I assure you that both times were renewals… never a new purchase. I even checked my records to confirm this:

The original confirmation from 2017 reads:
    (RES…)
    1x $39.00

The subsequent email from 2018 reads:
    (RES…)
    1x $49.99

And the most recent from 2019 reads:
    (RES…)
    1x $49.99
    That is what I suspected. Your purchase in 2017 was new, not a renewal of your initial purchase of version 12. That is why you have two activation codes.

I got version 12, although it didn't say that (it says 365), in 2016 with an activation code. This was an Upgrade from v11 and I received an activation code that was different from v11. My purchase in 2017 was a renewal and the email says exactly that - yours does not say that it was a renewal.

I have 1 activation code from version 12 onwards; you have 2 activation codes from version 12 onwards, meaning that you purchased a second version new. Your version 12 was not renewed.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    That is what I suspected. Your purchase in 2017 was new, not a renewal of your initial purchase of version 12. That is why you have two activation codes.

I got version 12, although it didn't say that (it says 365), in 2016 with an activation code. This was an Upgrade from v11 and I received an activation code that was different from v11. My purchase in 2017 was a renewal and the email says exactly that - yours does not say that it was a renewal.

I have 1 activation code from version 12 onwards; you have 2 activation codes from version 12 onwards, meaning that you purchased a second version new. Your version 12 was not renewed.
    Sorry, but I don’t follow your logic… or you don’t follow mine.

The 2017 purchase was the new purchase… the first and only new subscription to 365.

According to my emails and my account in the Magix website, the purchase previous to that was made on 11 September 2015:
    Xara Web Designer 11 Premium
    (RES…)
    1x $44.99

I did not subscribe to 365 v12 when it was initially released… I waited quite some time, in fact. And the first transaction shown in the previous email was the initial and only “new” purchase of 365.

The second transaction from 2018 is clearly marked as a renewal. That is the one that they provided the second code for… NOT the 2017 purchase, which had the FIRST code. In other words, the second code was sent with the first renewal.

Here is how the confirmation email reads:

Serial number:
    P3-xxxxx-xx…
    Program download:
    http://dl03.magix.net/webdesigner15premium_dlm.exe

I say as politely as possible that I don’t understand why you’re trying to prove me wrong.

I am trying to advise you and others of the message I received from Magix concerning the fallback policy in case of non-renewal, which may not be what you think or I thought, at least if the email they sent me is correct.

If you don’t believe me… so be it. If you think I lack intelligence… fine too.

But if you have any doubt about the policy, please send a similar inquiry to Magix to see how they respond. If you have a different answer, please post it here. It would help me to pursue the issue with them.

I understand that I am being a pest, but I have been trying to figure out what happened in the sequence of events, not trying to prove you wrong, because from what I see, you somehow ended up with two products. This could be why Magix replied as it did; either that or Magix gave you an incorrect reply.

See message #68. Here is your text:
    I originally subscribed to WDP365 on 24 October 2017. The version at the time was 12.
    I later renewed the subscription on 3 September 2018. The current version was 15. The renewal included a distinct product key.
    On 4 September 2019, I once again renewed my subscription. At that point, version 16 was active. As I check my records, however, I did not receive a new product key. The purchase is marked as an extension to the previous subscription. The earlier product key apparently remained valid.
    In message #74, you indicate new information:
    According to my emails and my account in the Magix website, the purchase previous to that was made on 11 September 2015:
    Xara Web Designer 11 Premium
    WDP365 did not need to be purchased separately; you could have just done an upgrade.

You paid new for version 12. Right?
    But, you already had version 11. That means that you have 2 versions registered.
    You got an activation code with the purchase of version 12, that is, your purchase of 24 October 2017, and you got another activation code on 3 September 2018. In this case something seems to have gone wrong because you should not have received a new activation code with a renewal in 2018.

Look at my message as to what I got. When I upgraded from v11 to 365 (v12) I received a new activation code. I upgraded/renewed every year but I did not receive a new activation code for version 15 like you did. That is why I say that something is wrong.

Here is what is in the email that I got in July 2017:
    Renew Update Service - 1 year
    Xara Designer Pro X365
    (RES....)

Now look at what you wrote:
    The second transaction from 2018 is clearly marked as a renewal. That is the one that they provided the second code for… NOT the 2017 purchase, which had the FIRST code. In other words, the second code was sent with the first renewal.

Here is how the confirmation email reads:

Serial number:
    Mine says Renew, yours says Upgrade. That is puzzling.

The only other thing that I can think of is that since you purchased V11 and then purchased 365 (v12) new, then somehow the renewal in 2018 ended up being an Upgrade from version 11 to 15 instead of a Renewal from v12 to 15. I only say this because of the reply from Magix, which makes it sound like you have both a v12 and a later version registered, and because you got a serial number with v12 and another with v15.

Of course, this does not explain why the message in 2019 says Upgrade when it should say Renewal. Both of mine, 2017 and 2018 specifically say "Renew Update Service - 1 year."

Maybe someone else who did a renewal of XWDP can confirm if their renewal email says Renewal or Update. Magix may have used a different terminology for XDPX than from XWDP.

Can you please check a couple of things?
    Go to your account in Magix, My Products and look at all entries for Xara WDP from version 11 onwards. How many do you have and what are they?
    Do you have more than 1 serial number for anything beyond version 11?
    If yes, note the Registration dates and open them to see which one is active.
    If not, then this either remains a mystery or Magix support gave an incorrect reply.

This could become important a year or so from now if and when you renew.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

@browj2, I don’t mean to imply you’re a pest, and I appreciate your attempt to understand what Magix wrote to me.

As for WDPv11, I have a product key for it as well as v10, which I bought as non-subscription products before 365 began.

As far as the use of the word “Upgrade” instead of “Renewal”… I have no idea why Magix makes that choice or what it signifies. At the time of renewal both times, I already was using the new version under the annual update service.

I paid for a “new” product only once… in 2017. The other times were renewals, from my perspective… even if Magix calls them “Upgrades”. (When you go to their website, you have three options: “New Purchase”, “Upgrade”, and “Free Trial”.)

You got an activation code with the purchase of version 12, that is, your purchase of 24 October 2017, and you got another activation code on 3 September 2018. In this case something seems to have gone wrong because you should not have received a new activation code with a renewal in 2018.

Look at my message as to what I got. When I upgraded from v11 to 365 (v12) I received a new activation code. I upgraded/renewed every year but I did not receive a new activation code for version 15 like you did. That is why I say that something is wrong.
    Indeed, it is mysterious that they treated me differently. But if in fact they consider me to have bought two different copies, logically, the more recent one would determine my fallback version, which would be at least v15. Though you believe (and I did previously) that it should be v16 (the current version when I last renewed).

Can you please check a couple of things?
    Go to your account in Magix, My Products and look at all entries for Xara WDP from version 11 onwards. How many do you have and what are they?
    Do you have more than 1 serial number for anything beyond version 11?
    If yes, note the Registration dates and open them to see which one is active.
    If not, then this either remains a mystery or Magix support gave an incorrect reply.
    Clicking
    Registration date: 10/24/2017
    >
    Serial number:
    Valid until: Unlimited
    Update Service: Expired
    Number of devices that can be used simultaneously: 2

Clicking
    Web Designer Premium
    Registration date: 09/03/2018
    >
    Web Designer Premium
    Serial number:
    Update Service: Until 03/03/2021

This could become important a year or so from now if and when you renew.
    In fact, my subscription is still active. I am not making a fuss because I cannot access a later version, but because Magix informed me in the email that my original purchase determines the version I will have in the event I don’t renew. If it is true, I think everyone should be aware, as they have the impression that renewal of the subscription also renews the fallback version.

If you are correct, and Magix considers me to have two WDP products, and for that reason they tell me my fallback is v12, then they are ignoring the second instance which is active. Why they would do that is yet another mystery.

At the risk of reopening old wounds ...

So that everything is crystal clear, Kate Moir specifically posted the Update Service etc. Explained, which states:

Update Service
    What happens to the Update Service after 365 days?
    1.Do nothing, the Update Service expires and you will no longer receive any new features. The feature updates you have installed over the past 365 days will continue to run indefinitely, HOWEVER if you re-install your product on a new computer after the Update Service has expired then the new installation will fall back to the version you last purchased.
    2.Renew the Update Service. Your perpetual license will now be for the version current on the day of renewal. In addition, you will continue to get access to new feature and content updates for the next 365 days after renewal.

It specifically states that the "fall back" is the last version you "purchased" ... It also states that if you renew, your perpetual licence is now for the version current on the day of renewal.

Although not "crystal" clear, I would expect that if you renew your update service, your "fall back" should be the version current on the day of renewal. I also seem to remember someone (I think this was also Kate, but can't be sure), stating the same thing "your "fall back" should be the version current on the day of renewal" on the forum.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

@gcellison

Registration date: 10/24/2017
    >
    Serial number:
    Update Service: Expired

Clicking
    Web Designer Premium
    Registration date: 09/03/2018
    >
    Web Designer Premium
    Serial number:
    Update Service: Until 03/03/2021
    That means that somehow you ended up with 2 versions of 385, one expired (v12 started in 2017), the other active (v15 started in 2018) good till March 2021. There are 2 serial numbers I take it, so make sure to note the latest one and don't use the earlier one.

I expect that Magix support just looked at the first one in your account, which was for v12 and has expired, and didn't look any further.

@ss-kalm
    Keith,

Thanks for quoting the message from Kate. It would have taken me an hour to find that.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    So that everything is crystal clear, Kate Moir specifically posted the Update Service etc. Explained, which states:

Update Service
    What happens to the Update Service after 365 days?
    1.Do nothing, the Update Service expires and you will no longer receive any new features. The feature updates you have installed over the past 365 days will continue to run indefinitely, HOWEVER if you re-install your product on a new computer after the Update Service has expired then the new installation will fall back to the version you last purchased.
    2.Renew the Update Service. Your perpetual license will now be for the version current on the day of renewal. In addition, you will continue to get access to new feature and content updates for the next 365 days after renewal.

It specifically states that the "fall back" is the last version you "purchased" ... It also states that if you renew, your perpetual licence is now for the version current on the day of renewal.
    Thanks @ss-kalm. I actually quoted part of that when I “reopened the wound” earlier today. My original point was that in spite of that promise, Magix told me my fallback version was determined by my FIRST purchase date.

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    @gcellison
    That means that somehow you ended up with 2 versions of 385, one expired (v12 started in 2017), the other active (v15 started in 2018) good till March 2021. There are 2 serial numbers I take it, so make sure to note the latest one and don't use the earlier one.
    I expect that Magix support just looked at the first one in your account, which was for v12 and has expired, and didn't look any further.
    Thanks, @browj2. With all the back and forth, I’m beginning to believe that you may be right. (And I am hopeful that it is so.) I have no idea how it happened, but I’ll place it on Magix’s doorstep. I plan to send a new message to them with the specifics, as well as the second serial number, and I hope that they will confirm that my fallback version is that of my latest renewal. Cheers.

Purchase Date is actually properly identified as Registration date.
    Update Service date is a year added to your extant Expiry date or from when you then register if it had already expired. If Magix are doing it from purchase then it should be challenged.
    You need to find your pugdate (https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Service-Expire) to know when your XDA cover will expire or has expired.

Also remember when Magix took over all Registration dates were set to 24 October 2017.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat