Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: No my question was not complete. thread was closed before my final comments

@Gary Thank you for bringing back the thread.

Handrawn said: in her final post in the closed thread kate (webmaster) confirmed that updates are lost if you reinstall on a new or modified computer so it is very important to capture those updates in the way i mentioned there
    I purchased in February 2020 so version 16.3 is the version that I would be eligible to reinstall. The install file I downloaded from Xara requires an update to get me to 16.3. I don't trust the program will "auto update" to 16.3.
    That means I need to try installing the program on my old beast computer so I can grab the update exe file for future use.

Handrawn said: I don't know why the last dated release before the subscription ended shouldn't be the install that that user has available after the subscription finishes.
    It makes sense that if the program stops 16 and goes to version 17 during my 365 day service, those updates could not be reinstalled. It goes to a different version than what I purchased.

I agree Handrawn. I am in a current 365 service agreement. Which means I should be eligible to retain and reinstall any update to the version 16 program that arrives during my 365 days. If during my 365 day service agreement we receive a 16.4 update, I should be eligible to retain and reinstall it.

However based on Kate @Xara response, I would NOT be able to reinstall any update I receive after the 16.3, even if it is for the version 16 program. Clearly this means The 365 allows the user to "rent" updates beyond purchase date but does not entitle them to reinstall them.

Hypothetical situation based on her statement: (Please help me to understand if I am wrong)
    Let's say I renew my 365 next February 2021.
    And update 16.4 and 17.1 arrive during the 2 years between purchase on 02/17/20 and 02/16/2022.
    If I stop paying for the 365 service, I revert back to version 16.3 on reinstall since that is the version I purchased.
    This convinces me to never renew the 365 service. And not accept or use any update after the 16.3
    Thank you @Xara for clarifying.

The better route is to wait until the next full version release, download a 30 day trial, test its capabilities and purchase if I like it.
    Grab the content manually since Xara does not provide it and then I know for sure I can reinstall the exact version I purchase.

For me, these are as important as the capabilities of the program itself:
    1. Work Offline, not depend on a constant internet connection (due to traveling to areas without internet - yes they still exist!)
    2. Reinstall on a new hard drive or new computer when necessary. I have had bad luck. Complete hard drive failures where reinstall was necessary. It happened in 2015 on a brand new DELL computer so age and use do not predict hard drive stability. Sometimes you have no choice.

I have bought the CD versions, not just the download versions for ease of reinstall, content and not depending on internet connection. (That practice has now stopped. I was charged $14.99 for a CD that contained no content, just another copy of the basic program, worthless to me.)

Obviously Xara's current model does not take users like me into account. They expect EVERYONE to have internet connection and don't really want people to reinstall.

Just as an example
    This is on the HOME PAGE of my backup software. Nothing hidden, no guesswork. Xara could be this clear about their program.
    When you purchase any software from 2BrightSparks, you receive a perpetual license. This means that you can continue to use the version you purchased indefinitely and without restrictions. The software will not expire. All minor version upgrades are free, e.g. upgrading from V9.1 to V9.2 would be free. However, major version upgrades (e.g. V9 to V10) are not free and you are not entitled to free technical support.
    Last edited by samrc; 02 March 2020 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added syncback
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)