Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Been having fun with animated GIFs, but thought I'd better not clutter up Mike Engles' Further Challenge thread any more, so I've prepared this little recipe in case anyone's interested:

Draw a circle.

Apply a brush (mine was a single American Uncial letter 'p' with linear fill from red to yellow).

Frame 1 (100cs)
    Maximum brush spacing to place the letters at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.

Frames 2-6 (20cs each)
    Brush rotated through 30° per frame.

Frame 7 (100cs)
    Another 30° takes us to 180°, and two of the 'p's have become 'd's!

Frames 8-12 (20cs each)
    Brush rotated through 30° per frame.

Frame 13 (100cs)
    Another 30° brings us back to our starting point.

Frames 14-23 (5cs each)
    Rotation stopped and spacing reduced by approx. one division of the slider per frame to make the 'ring'.

Frame 24 (100cs)
    Which becomes complete upon reaching the minimum spacing.

Frames 25-35 (5cs each)
    'Rotate along path' either re-enabled or left unchecked (see illustration) and random offset increased from 0-100% at 10% per frame to create the 'fire'.

http://www.petestack.com/forum/twofires.png<br clear="all">

Animated GIF exported with global optimised 256 colour palette. (You'd think that fewer colours would work when it's all in the red-yellow area, but the fill quickly starts to look 'stepped'. So it's 10K for the .xar file and 128K for the GIF...)

Changes to saturation, hue and scaling all look like fertile ground for brush-based animations, but maybe another day...

About the only thing that still bugs me about this one is the 55cs duration of the 'fire' when everything else adds up to 50 or 100cs units, but it would be silly to change things just because of some misguided loyalty to round numbers! Oh, and I can't decide which of the two 'fire's I like best...

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on March 18, 2001 at 10:03 AM.]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Been having fun with animated GIFs, but thought I'd better not clutter up Mike Engles' Further Challenge thread any more, so I've prepared this little recipe in case anyone's interested:

Draw a circle.

Apply a brush (mine was a single American Uncial letter 'p' with linear fill from red to yellow).

Frame 1 (100cs)
    Maximum brush spacing to place the letters at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.

Frames 2-6 (20cs each)
    Brush rotated through 30&deg; per frame.

Frame 7 (100cs)
    Another 30&deg; takes us to 180&deg;, and two of the 'p's have become 'd's!

Frames 8-12 (20cs each)
    Brush rotated through 30&deg; per frame.

Frame 13 (100cs)
    Another 30&deg; brings us back to our starting point.

Frames 14-23 (5cs each)
    Rotation stopped and spacing reduced by approx. one division of the slider per frame to make the 'ring'.

Frame 24 (100cs)
    Which becomes complete upon reaching the minimum spacing.

Frames 25-35 (5cs each)
    'Rotate along path' either re-enabled or left unchecked (see illustration) and random offset increased from 0-100% at 10% per frame to create the 'fire'.

http://www.petestack.com/forum/twofires.png<br clear="all">

Animated GIF exported with global optimised 256 colour palette. (You'd think that fewer colours would work when it's all in the red-yellow area, but the fill quickly starts to look 'stepped'. So it's 10K for the .xar file and 128K for the GIF...)

Changes to saturation, hue and scaling all look like fertile ground for brush-based animations, but maybe another day...

About the only thing that still bugs me about this one is the 55cs duration of the 'fire' when everything else adds up to 50 or 100cs units, but it would be silly to change things just because of some misguided loyalty to round numbers! Oh, and I can't decide which of the two 'fire's I like best...

Peter</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on March 18, 2001 at 10:03 AM.]

Peter,

I loved seeing your animated ring of fire. It's a great effect. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Joan

Cool, or should I say hot, effect, Peter!

Made me think back to my August 1996 "Hot Stuff" tutorial in which I attempted to create fire and an animated burning fire.

Also gave me some ideas for my next tutorial [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Perhaps I've made an original contribution to Xart!

Thanks Joan and Gary:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Made me think back to my August 1996 "Hot Stuff" tutorial in which I attempted to create fire and an animated burning fire.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And sent me scurrying to your tutorial to make sure I wasn't retreading the same ground...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also gave me some ideas for my next tutorial<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something I made gave you ideas? My moment of Xartistic recognition! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Pity about the file sizes, however - I'm still convinced CX2's exporting much smaller animated GIFs, but it was impossible to put this one to the test because it used a brush. And I'm not sure how much difference it would have made with this palette, because I've noticed that you have to knock out a lot of the colours to get a significant reduction in size.

One more point that may be of interest:

Although I was very conscientious and saved every variant of the brush 'as new' under a new name, only a handful of these still show in the 'new brush strokes' section of the line gallery for the final .xar file. Yet every frame still renders as intended, and deleting any of the remaining brushes turns some frame or other back into a black outlined circle! Curious or what?

Peter</p>

Just testing an image map for my site! No need to click on the links if you've already seen them, but note you have to add your own alt tags to Xara exported code...

http://www.petestack.com/forum/ringsoffire.png <map id="ringsoffire" name="ringsoffire">
    <area shape="rect" href="http://www.petestack.com/forum/ringoffire.gif" coords="40,69,150,180" alt="'Ring of Fire' Animated GIF 128K">
    <area shape="rect" href="http://www.petestack.com/forum/ringoffire2.gif" coords="177,70,286,180" alt="'Ring of Fire 2' Animated GIF 115K">
    </map><br clear="all">

Peter</p>