Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Making changes to Xara website templates

Several years ago I created my website from scratch using Xara. Because I recently changed my server when I tried transferring the old files from my computer I ran into problems as I think some of the files had got corrupted.That, along with the fact that I needed to make changes anyway, led me to creating a new site using one of the Xara templates. So far, not good, as trying to make too many changes to those, as to re sizing objects to replace those within the template seems to cause lots of problems. Is it fair to conclude that the templates may be a great way to go so long as one keeps to the formatting within it and just change the text but keep the font and point size?

Default Re: Making changes to Xara website templates

Templates have (a lot of) objects with settings applied to them that are not immediately visible when editing them. So, this may have unforeseen consequences, especially if you haven't been working with the app for a while and aren't aware which settings are involved. I would say, you have two main options:
    - Persevere and discover how it's all put together, provided the work in progress hasn't become too much of a mess. In that case, you could start again.
    - Start from scratch and use the template only as an visual example, reverse engineering it step by step.

Either way, there's some learning involved (which you might actually enjoy).

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    ... snip ...
    - Start from scratch and use the template only as an visual example, reverse engineering it step by step.

Excellent advice.

can anybody suggest me a software to extract website footer and header code.???????
    Last edited by gwpriester; 27 February 2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: REMOVED BACKLINKS

Can you please explain AfricaIncoming what someone in India is doing promoting an African tourism website and what your last hidden backlink (the ?) refers to because my browser will not let me visit that page.

And can you please explain why I should not banish you from TalkGraphics?

Templates have (a lot of) objects with settings applied to them that are not immediately visible when editing them. So, this may have unforeseen consequences, especially if you haven't been working with the app for a while and aren't aware which settings are involved. I would say, you have two main options:
    - Persevere and discover how it's all put together, provided the work in progress hasn't become too much of a mess. In that case, you could start again.

I could not have put it better myself. I do the same with XaraTemplates and the difference in quality is palpable.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I could not have put it better myself.
    Coming from you, that's quite a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I do the same with XaraTemplates and the difference in quality is palpable.
    That's too cryptic for me, Acorn. Please elaborate.

That's too cryptic for me, Acorn. Please elaborate.
    I re-engineer Xara Templates to see how they tick.
    Few have sensible presentation: Guides, Text Areas, Styles, Theme Colours, interactive content, explanations, etc. XaraTemplates.com is a one-man band and what he produces is far more adept and easier to adapt and adopt.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Ah, that's what you mean. Yes, his work is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by mavericksmedia View Post
    they have some special discount going on
    It's your own website, so let's not pretend "they" is actually "I" or "we".