Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro x 16 new install and update.

@Xara I paid extra for a CD of version 16 as I have always done, expecting the full program and all the resources.
    If the CD just has the same empty install file, why charge me extra for it.
    That was a total rip off.
    And a true disappointment.
    Several hours later the program is not done pulling in content from online. It appears complete, no longer says "downloading". Then I check content and still find + more online... under folders. I have had to click download all several times. VERY poor delivery system. Especially compared to past performance by the same company. And no, its not my internet connection. It is solid and stable. Very sad change to a really nice product. Even without using version 16, I am unimpressed with the program and the company behind it.

By the way, I installed XDPX version 11 from my CD on the same new machine. Though I have not used it yet, and have not tried to update or download anything into it, the design gallery is loaded with content. This is what I expected from my new version 16.
    Last edited by samrc; 28 February 2020 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added update to my download process
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
    IP

The download all completed after several attempts.

I see that the online content also contains symbols, in the list above "First Look". That does not appear to be in the design gallery. I wandered and found icons, but they are not the symbols online.

Other than one by one importing symbols (glass, music, etc), is there a faster way to get them into my program? What a pain and waste of time putting together the basics of the program as offered...
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
    IP

Samantha, try Insert > Symbol for Font Awesome & Material Icons. Works in two modes: Text Tool adds as a glyph; other, adds as a Grouped Shape.

You also have the Online Content Catalogue > Symbols.

There is some overlap.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

thank you
    -Samantha
    IP

Hi samrc, I'm sorry you've had to trawl thru the other threads in search of some answers to your Update Service questions. In fact there is an FAQ here in TG, see https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ting-Explained that gives some plain English answers. I hope that helps if you have any remaining questions!

Kate Moir @ Xara
    IP

be nice if someone thought to link this during the installation - especially during the trial...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Webmaster:
    Thank you.

@Xara
    As a long-term Xara customer, I have 3 major issues with this document you posted.
    #1 If I had not posed the questions, I would not have seen this document. It would not have been provided to me.
    It should have been available to me as a direct link during the installation, or on the opening splash page or a line item under the HELP menu. Xara tells me about updates, upgrades, the cloud advertisement, why not about this important 365 day countdown that limits the use of the program?

#2 The document says
    Do nothing, the Update Service expires and you will no longer receive any new features. The feature updates you have installed over the past 365 days will continue to run indefinitely, HOWEVER if you re-install your product on a new computer after the Update Service has expired then the new installation will fall back to the version you last purchased.
    This is not accurate. The last version I purchased is version 16 just a few days ago in FEBRUARY 2020. After installation of my new version 16 on my new computer, an update brought me to 16.3.0.57723. That update was published in OCTOBER, 2019. On thedate of purchase, I bought a program AND that update since that update was already available/published. It did NOT get published DURING my 365 service days. So if I have to reinstall the program I am owed that update also.
    This issue is exactly why I posed the question "will the update that arrived AFTER my install be available if I have to reinstall?"
    That question is still on the table. What will happen @Xara?

#3 The version 16 program did not install with content, even though installed from the CD (paid extra for it). I bought a CD because every Xara version I have owned, I installed from the CD to load basic content (bitmaps, fills, styles, themes, etc). Then once the program was running, you could choose to load more content from the online options.
    So after installation, I clicked "Help > Download content installer and Panorama Studio". I knew this must be the way to bring in the content to the new program. Right? Well No. Fonts and Fills. That's it. I was stunned to find the Galleries were still empty. No templates, no clip art, no anything.
    I paid for a complete program with content. Options. Features. To find out that the only content is stored in an online catalog, is only available to me while I pay you is shocking. Once I understood the catalog limits, I downloaded content to my computer and will copy for future use. Even in that, it took many tries to get the content into the computer. I used the "Download All" option And it would appear that it was finished only to find that no, there is still more content. Misleading. (and please don't blame it on the machine or the internet connection. One is brand NEW and the other is solid and stable)
    If I had just started to use the program to edit existing files, or making some vector drawings, it might have taken me a while before I noticed the lack of content in the galleries. I might not have known until it was too late to bring it in and lost it because your company would cut my connection to the only catalog.
    Your current model is a rip off. Designed to trick a customer into renewing the service update so they can keep what they already bought. More than 15 years experience with Xara products, lots of purchases, lots of recommendations to others that also bought. I have yet to delve into the program yet. Spent so much time just trying to set it up. I am saddened, disappointed and very unhappy with this purchase so far.

As to what other companies are doing...
    I also upgraded some Corel products this month with my new computer. When you click on the small download file it installs the program then begins a second download. That file arrives in the same folder that held the small primary download. The second file was almost 600MB. THE CONTENT. So I had the program and the content. Both can be found without searching the bowels of the computer, both can be saved and used for future installs. Simple Easy. Right. What I paid for.
    Last edited by samrc; 01 March 2020 at 06:21 AM.
    -Samantha
    IP

Hi Samantha

#1 If I had not posed the questions, I would not have seen this document
    We created this document for TalkGraphics members. We've posted a link to it in Announcements and the moderators have been briefed to link to it as soon as any question is raised about the Update Service to try and prevent exactly the sort of meandering and sometimes confusing answer we've seen in this thread! Acorn prefers to point to his own thread, Magix prefer to point to their own generic Update Service page but this TG FAQ is tailored to the exactly the questions we see asked in Xara support (with input from the moderators, and if I remember rightly Acorn) and it's hopefully clearer than both!

#2 "if you re-install your product on a new computer after the Update Service has expired then the new installation will fall back to the version you last purchased."
    If you purchased in February, when you reinstall after expiry you will get 16.3, the version current on the day you registered. If you download it from download.com or whatever, and it's older, it will auto-update to 16.3.

#3 All content is now online, it should appear automatically and immediately in the Online Content Catalog as soon as your register you copy. You don't have to click download or anything else to see the content (not since v7 anyway!). The same goes for any content we release while your Update Service is current. I don't know why this has not worked for you. I'm not clear if you can now see it all, if not I recommend you contact Magix support @ https://support2.magix.com/customer/. You can download anything you see in the Online Content Catalog to your local computer, then you will see it in the Local Designs Gallery.

"as to what other companies are doing..." Yes, we all do it differently. Adobe for example has a different model, where obviously you lose access to everything, program and all, when your subscription expires. We have all made our different decisions about the best way forward, and what we must all try our best to do is explain how our model works.

I hope that makes things clearer.

Kate @ Xara
    IP

as usual, and understandably, we get the company line from kate [nice to hear from you btw ]

but the issue is not being able to see the content online, it's having it on the users computer so that after active update service expiry it is not lost

plus the fact that, any updates to the program beyond 16.3 issued during active update service will be lost if the program is [re]installed on another computer; 'another computer' can be something as simple, and commonplace, as the same computer with a new SSD...

yes you do do things differently as is your right, but it is very confusing, notwithstanding the FAQs
    Last edited by handrawn; 01 March 2020 at 10:20 AM. Reason: SSD
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I'm pretty sure I posted to this thread yesterday. It seems to have been removed. I would say that I made some accurate, mostly relevant remarks without resorting to insults, abuse or bad language. The plain unvarnished truth, if you will. It seems to have been unilaterally removed by persons unknown. It is quite possible that some of my remarks may have made uncomfortable reading for some, but that is the way of the world. However, I would have wished to see the original post reinstated, but that is a flight of fancy, I fear.

I went out of my way to refrain from any form of ad hominem remarks, but some truths, it appears are best left unsaid hereabouts. It would be infinitely preferable if Mr. Boulton (CEO of the parish of magiXara) were to make a personal statement in this thread to refute or otherwise any of the obviously offensive remarks I seem to have made in that post, but it seems that freedom of speech is not a value that is cherished.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP