Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Xara Designer Pro x 16 new install and update.

I had XDPX11 on my old computer. (actually one of the few programs it could still run )

Installed XDP11 on my new machine and today I installed XDPX16.

The program offered to UPDATE (saying something about 365 support?)

I downloaded the update but have not installed it yet.

1. Where is this download put (not in my downloads folder, or in the programs folder)

2. Are the Updates (143mb download) permanent to my xdpx16 installation? Or do they stop working after 365 days?

3. If a year and a half from now I have to reinstall, will I be able to install that update if I want it?

I've been out the loop a while. I thought the 365 had to do with the online collaborative building of websites. I guess that's not right...that's Xara Cloud... So then 365 is just for support? or updates?

About me...how I use the product.
    Used Xara product for so many yeats. Graphics and diagrams mostly. I have also built websites in .xar files, but never in an online platform that allowed collaboration with others. I still have no interest in doing that. Though a magix website has been included with my upgrade purchase, I wont be using their hosting.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
    IP

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro x 16 new install and update.

Hi Samantha

The update is probably in your Downloads folder. It is a matter of where you normally download files to. My default is my desktop, but this varies by user.

In the US, you can go to https://www.magix.com/int/support/my-service-center/ sign in and go to a page with your purchased products and if necessary download a clean version.

With the 365 support, the product you purchased is always there to use. But the access to the Online Content Catalog, and updates and bug fixes stop after the 365 days.
    IP

I began using Xara products way back with 2004/2005 xara xtreme, webstyle 4, 3d, etc. I am familiar with logging into my account to see my purchases and re-downloading if necessary or find serial numbers. I know I can get the software back later if needed.

All these years, I have enjoyed using Xara products. I backed away from online activity and haven't bought upgrades since version 11. This is the first new version I've had in years. In past versions, I always got a CD, with loads of content, templates, etc. This version installed in less than a minute. (maybe because I already had version 11 in the computer). In past versions, even if I reinstalled on a computer, the program always searched for updates and asked if I wanted to install them, even if years after purchase. There was no limit on how long those updates were available. Liked having resources on CD. Available when and if I needed it, at no further cost, UNLESS I purchased additional web packs,etc.

In part, you said "and updates and bug fixes stop after the 365 days."

My concern is the availability of the update content that arrived after the program was installed today.

Please clarify: If 425 days from now I have to reinstall the software for whatever reason...
    - will the update that just came in be available to me again since I received it in that initial 365 day window?
    Or if I reinstall I wouldn't get the update I just put in because it is beyond the 365 days since purchase?
    - does it mean the update features added to the program will continue to function or cease functioning at day 366?
    - I understand online content will not be available after 365 days. Guess I better spend time downloading from online so I have it available later should I need it.

Before posting here, I looked in the downloads folder, it was empty, no update. Nothing placed on desktop either.
    What is the file extension used on updates? I know the approx size but not name or extension to do a search for it.
    If I download from websites, email, etc I know where those go.
    However, XDPX16 did not put the update into the downloads for or any place I can find.
    I would like to put it with my copy of the install file for future use, especially if it will not be offered in the future.

(Reference This is what is in the update:
    PDF Auto Bleed
    New Line charts and improved chart handles
    Paragraph Background Colours
    Link to SmartField URL option

Improvements:
    Panorama Maker program has been updated with various improvements
    PDF manual is now a download link. This is to reduce installer file size.
    Objects will now remember their angle of rotation
    SVG filter improved
    Added post-import colour and style processing
    Added double/triple/quadruple click and drag within text
    And more than 30 other fixes and improvements.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
    IP

if it is the automatic update of the program, that goes into windows temp and is deleted after install - to save you would need to look at the details of the UAC dialog, the windows box that dims the screen and asks if you want to install, note the path, navigate to it and save out, before proceding with the install

actual program installers such as panorama studio should be in a magix folder in your documents folder, the xara program installer may ask if you want them saved there
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

ah thank you.

I did find the program installers for PS and content and moved to a safe location for future use.
    Unfortunately, I did not get the install file for the update before it installed. Now only a CACHE file remains in my AppData folder, not helpful for the future.

So my original concern remains...
    If my program requires a reinstall on this or another machine after 365 days have passed, would I get offered that same update I just applied without having to pay for it? In previous versions of the software the answer would be yes. In version 16 with this 365 day pay plan?

If I seem paranoid about this issue, please know it comes from reality not just worry.
    The last NEW machine I bought was in 2015, a dell laptop. After spending time updating, installing, moving files personalizing the system, the hard drive died at 5 months. With that machine, I attempted to merge all my older backups, prune clean resources into one trimmed usable resource. Lost everything on that drive, could not be salvaged.. I bought a fresh backup drive, had set up my backup software to run that evening. Never got a chance. The drive died 2 hours before scheduled backup. I moved back to my old nasty 2010 model when Dell would not stand behind their product. Finally got a new laptop. Trying again.
    -Samantha
    IP

The version you bought and just downloaded will be the one you will be able to download in perpetuity.
    Try the download here: https://www.xara.com/us/designer-pro/download/.

Run the application and in the Local Designs gallery, right-click on the blue folders or text and pick Download All. This will put all of the Xara content into the Cache folder.
    This is what you would lose access to after expiry of the Update Service. Back it up elsewhere too.

Xara may be delivering a v17.0 in the next few weeks and you would not be entitled to it and you would revert back to v16.3.1 or an reload after the expiry date. You could use it and its upgrades forever if your machine never broke but you know the chances of that already.
    Write to it and complain that this is unfair. They might bump you up to v17.
    Also watch out for v17+ new features; they are honey traps as will probably not work in v16.3.1 so you are coerced into renewing.

Most of what I advise in https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-Service-Cover is still valid across current applications and versions.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

uninstall

reinstall, as it updates captures the update
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Acorn Thank you for excellent info.
    I will follow your instructions for both backup and the v17. I will definitely review your link.

handrawn. Yes. I was considering that.
    Might try loading on the old monster machine just to get the UPDATE pack. Then uninstall.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by samrc; 28 February 2020 at 05:17 AM. Reason: hit post before I was finished.
    -Samantha
    IP

Thank you all for assisting me.

I have been reading the other thread advised by Acorn re: the change to the service update and how the online content is handled. Gracious sakes much has changed with Magix/Xara since my version 11. I had no idea.

My first impression is how sad.

The Xara products have always been lovely. And I was happy to recommend them to clients and friends. I bought web designer versions so I could support others and kept the PRO version for my own use, upgrades, knowing that each time I was getting the CD with all the resources that came with each program. I didn't hesitate to buy v16 when I got the new computer. Just on my list of normal things to do.

This time, the CD Designer Pro X version 16 only has the base program. When I clicked the Local Designs Gallery in the program, it was empty even though I installed from the CD. I clicked each blue folder. Empty. Used to be you got a ton from the CD install, more than the download version, then you supplemented with online content. It never dawned on me that the CD install would not load content. It always has in my experience. Acorn's instruction to download all is a life saver. Without doing that I would have been left with NO content after 365. It is slow to download, but it is coming in. I might not have checked this aspect of the program for a while, and then it might have been too late to get it all. THANK YOU.

I attached a pic of the local design galleries.
    Each blue folder was empty, only offered + more online... (just like E-books and Presentations in the pic)
    huge surprise to find nothing in the folders after a cd install
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	empty galleries downloading.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	126433
    Last edited by samrc; 28 February 2020 at 06:30 AM. Reason: add photo
    -Samantha
    IP

Thumbs down Re: Xara Designer Pro x 16 new install and update.

@Xara - if you don't yet understand what your Customers experience, this is an accurate summary:
    Quote Originally Posted by samrc View Post
    ...Without doing that I would have been left with NO content after 365. It is slow to download, but it is coming in. I might not have checked this aspect of the program for a while, and then it might have been too late to get it all.
    It is painful for me to see this time and again.

It should not be left to luck, guesswork or TG.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP