Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Display Major Version Number

Dear Xara...

In web design, it is important to present some visual clue such as "You are Here" to allow a visitor to orientate themselves.

Equally in your Desktop Applications products, up to version 11, you added the major version number after the product.

Could you reinstate this please.

On visual clues, I imagine few actually notice the document type icon change (to the left of File).

It took me until today to discover it was clickable and why Ctrl+F6 never worked to move to the next tabbed document - I now know why. It is inaccessible with a Keypress. It needs a Left Mouse Click. Just as intuitive as the Right Mouse Click for the Lock aspect ratio context menu.

Another today discovery. If you Right Mouse Click on an inactive icon in any Control Bar, you get the context menu for the other Control Bars. I have always clicked around on an edge to open this. In passing v16.3 has two Presentation Control Bars.
    Can I delete one of them?

While I am here, why does a Right Mouse Click on any active Icon do nothing until I hit the Standard Control bar > Insert a duplicate of the current page.
    Why just this one?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Display Major Version Number

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

Another today discovery. If you Right Mouse Click on an inactive icon in any Control Bar, you get the context menu for the other Control Bars. I have always clicked around on an edge to open this.
    Didn't know about that one either, including being able to right-click on the edge of control bars to call up the context menu. Thanks for pointing this out! But, indeed, why not have this work on active buttons as well?!

It's really nice, though, to discover each time something else that's nifty and helpful in using the apps more efficiently. At heart, the apps are just wonderful.

you can set up a keystroke to give you the about xara panel, which saves going through the help menu if you are in a hurry to find the version, also afaik the about dialog will persist until you click on it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you can set up a keystroke to give you the about xara panel, which saves going through the help menu if you are in a hurry to find the version, also afaik the about dialog will persist until you click on it
    The point is we should have to go looking for it.

I find it banal and tedious that Xara cut off obvious and simple visual clues all for the sake of marketing.
    Same banal application icon (purple) since version 12.
    Pop-up text that don't advise the major version; I have v12, 15 & 16 all on the Taskbar and were it not for them being in order, I wouldn't have a clue which one I was launching.

Now I happen to have the skills to change these but it shouldn't be down to individuals.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have a list as long as my horse's tail about such issues in windows 10

I agree we shouldn't, I know what you are saying; it may be as much for simplicity for them as marketing, who knows...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have a list as long as my horse's tail about such issues in windows 10
    I agree we shouldn't, I know what you are saying; it may be as much for simplicity for them as marketing, who knows...
    Now people might think MS is so vast, it could afford to ignore the little people. I worked for a company where we had something like MS Silver Service. I pointed out the dropping of digital signing of the latest version of MS Access would be a disaster for us if MS dropped it; it was back in the next subversion.

We need to pose these issues to MagiXara as they are otherwise rudderless.

Acorn

again i agree in the general sense, but i wonder in this xara case just how much of an issue it is for most of us
    Nothing lasts forever...

again i agree in the general sense, but i wonder in this xara case just how much of an issue it is for most of us
    It is the overall drift that is occurring with each version release. There will come a time when it just all breaks a that little niggle that only affected Acorn impacts on something else more important and the cascade begins.

Acorn

ok but choose the battles you wish to fight
    Nothing lasts forever...