Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Incircle Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    ernie, I have no problem with Xara snapping circle centres, I simply cannot snap a line end (edit handle) to the crossing point of two circles and I cannot rotate a line exactly onto the same point. A line end will track along a circumference but when it crosses another, it does not snap.
    I can position an edit handle very close to the intersection, go to maximum zoom and then use Alt+Cursor Key to creep into place. You cannot do this at a high zoom for a rotating line when the edit handle is a distance away.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,
    there is no problem with my construction. The lines I create snap all to the right points and are precise as Xara can be.
    See the vid.

www.franta-net.de/ice/line snap.mp4

ernie, thank you, your video is very clear and I appreciate you taking the time to make it.

When I approach the intersection, I get the magnet pointer appearing when I am near or on the circumferences and the crossing but there is no real indication there the snap is the right one; it is this I am having trouble with, not your construction.
    When I drag a line around, I have similar difficulty with the end points and the mid-point. At lower zooms, it all looks good, yet it is usually a lucky hit to get it exactly in place.

The only possible difference in our set-ups is I usually have scale line widths set. Thi make the line width important in snapping but here I have been using 0px anyhow, just like you.
    I have checked Options > Mouse > Magnetic snap radii and I am using Point: 4px & Line: 3px.

In the end, I reckon I am saying that Snap to objects is most effective when the snap is to an Edit Handle. A crossing has no such handle.

Thank you for your patience.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yuo're right but you don't need a snap for crossing lines. This is only the referenz-point for the incircel and the three crossing line do snap for it in there cross.

Lightbulb Re: Incircle Challenge

Here is a detailed Hint about Angle Bisectors.

• Clone the Triangle and move it to a Guides Layer.
    • Make two further Clones of the Triangle.
    • Ctrl+Rotate both about a vertex until you snap an edge to the horizontal or vertical.
    • Flip one Clone H or V, depending on the axis you have matched with. You should now have a Dart shape.
    • Rotate the Clones back into place. I appended a short vertical leg to get this exactly right.
    • With the two Clones selected, Add Shapes.
    • Switch to the Shape Tool and delete all points apart from the point and the notch.

You now have the Angle Bisector.
    The following diagram has an exaggerated Green Line for the solution and the two Clones were left in a vertical position before Adding to show the overall alignments.

Done properly all the construction shapes disappear leaving only the Angle Bisector, drawn to the full extent of the Triangle.
    It all relies on Cloning and Ctrl+Rotation, without measurement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angle Bisector Construction.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	126408

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Info Re: Incircle Challenge

Here is my full design file:
    Challenge - Incircle of a Triangle.xar.

Other approaches, comments and solutions are always appreciated.

Acorn