Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xdp6 Incircle Challenge

The Challenge is to use Xara accurately and create the Inclicle of the presented Challenge Triangle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Incircle.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	126393

The Incircle is simply the largest one you can fit inside a given triangle.
    The circumference therefore just touches the sides of the triangle and does not miss or go beyond the edges.

I am after solutions that are not best guesses or use calculations. The only calculation necessary is for checking the area of the circle is 111,800px2, which Xara does automatically.

Your starter file is Challenge - Incircle of a Triangle.xar.
    All Line widths given are 0px.

You should play to the strengths of Xara so I would expect lots of use of Snap to Objects.

Do describe your construction.

Hint: Clone and then Lock the original Triangle. Do then delete the Incircle; this is only there to demonstrate the accuracy of the expected solution.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Incircle Challenge

Ya lost me right off the bat, but thats not unusual for you acorn. But I will say I am going to take a look at it.

Here is my construction.

Name:	Challenge - Incircle of a Triangle.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	126400

I felt like I was in the fifth grade in school.
    But it was fun.

Servus

Bug Re: Incircle Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    Here is my construction.

Name:	Challenge - Incircle of a Triangle.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	126400

I felt like I was in the fifth grade in school.
    But it was fun.

Servus
    ernie, thank you. This is the classical compass and ruler solution.

You are creating the angle bisector of the three vertices (only two are needed) to cross at the incircle position.
    A circle centred here will then be easy to increase to touch the three sides when Snap to objects is active.

However, while your straight lines can be fixed to a vertex, I do not believe you can "accurately" position the other end point as there is no control or handle point available.

You can still manage and improve on this in a definite Xara-way.

@Xara - in passing, I tried with your Piesegment 1 Smart Shape. It is useless as when you try and position the centre with cursor keys the Snap to Objects FAILS and the JavaScript code is so slow, it FAILS to position. Might I suggest your Developers attempt this Challenge with Smart Shapes?

Name:	Incircle Pie Segments.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	126402

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

do not believe you can "accurately" position the other end point as there is no control or handle point available.
    You can do that with circles they snap in the midpoint too. Tis is the clasic way i learned over 55 years ago and don't forget.

Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Sorry Larry, was it not clear that the circle doesn't yet exist? You have to make it.

The top left edge has an overlap with the circle and the bottom has a gap.
    The Area is a little under at 111,300px2.

Do correct me if I am wrong but I have no clear strategy for positioning the circle; I am adjusting, zooming in & out and working around the three sides.
    I managed it in about 10 minutes.

Thanks for the approach though, it can be made to work.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    You can do that with circles they snap in the midpoint too. Tis is the clasic way i learned over 55 years ago and don't forget.
    ernie, I have no problem with Xara snapping circle centres, I simply cannot snap a line end (edit handle) to the crossing point of two circles and I cannot rotate a line exactly onto the same point. A line end will track along a circumference but when it crosses another, it does not snap.
    I can position an edit handle very close to the intersection, go to maximum zoom and then use Alt+Cursor Key to creep into place. You cannot do this at a high zoom for a rotating line when the edit handle is a distance away.

Acorn

I've said this on MANY occasions. Xara would benefit from an ENDPOINT, MIDPOINT and INTERSECTION SNAP system the same as most CAD Systems. Although acknowledging that Xara ISN'T CAD, the technical side of the drawing system is similar enough to justify it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Sorry Larry, was it not clear that the circle doesn't yet exist? You have to make it.

The top left edge has an overlap with the circle and the bottom has a gap.
    The Area is a little under at 111,300px2.

Do correct me if I am wrong but I have no clear strategy for positioning the circle; I am adjusting, zooming in & out and working around the three sides.
    I managed it in about 10 minutes.

Thanks for the approach though, it can be made to work.

acorn

I guess should have been more clear did make a circle zoomed 100% and sometimes 1000% to adjust the circle size I thought I had it but evidently not. Will look again. Sorry Acorn
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.