Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: a quick thanks

Default a quick thanks

although the updates to the desktop get a bad press in some ways, there are still some little things that can make a lot of difference

one of these was a couple of versions ago, when it became possible to opt to export to PSD with each object in the selection on it's own layer [and conversly the option to import the same way]

I cannot stress enough just how useful this has become; for example: break shapes all of which need to be coloured, but in a raster app; having all these on the same layer would be a pita, but each on it's own is quick and easy to deal with

also the ctrl+shift+mousewheelscroll function that increases/decreases the line width - and if this was tweaked with an option for the operation to only take place on selected nodes, it would be a real winner
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: a quick thanks

I am trying the line width trick and nothing? On the same topic, I love Xara and it has been the most used if not all that I use for my profession for the past few decades. If I need something that xara does not offer, I use another program.

you need to have the point of the cursor on the line, line does not need to be selected; I guess if you have software that 'manages' your mouse button/wheel fuctions that might interfere

with a shape it controls the outline - if you try it on a shape without an outline positioning is sometimes more tricky

it takes a while to get going sometimes, probably a vector-screen-render thing....

EDIT - if you postion the cursor using the select tool you should see a vertcal bar when it is in the right place, maybe easier than in one of the drawing tools ? at least until you get used to it
    Nothing lasts forever...

Oh yes it worked now. Is this documented anywhere?

Thumbs down Re: a quick thanks

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Oh yes it worked now. Is this documented anywhere?
    http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/des...Anchor:58YD9gu so v16.1.1 onwards.

Use with caution. It punches through a Group to pick one of its objects and allows you to change the line width.

Also if you release the Shift key first, you might start changing your MS Windows language preferences.

Not the best thought-out or tested Xara UI.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

not really occured to me [so far] to try to use it on a group... one use i do like is on custom brush strokes to create custom shapes

there are a lot of instances where you might change things you don't want to change by mis-keying, it's a fact of digial life... but always good to have them pointed out, only so many combinations to go round....

actually the issue I get if I mis-key is zooming, not language preferences, are we talking about the setting within xara, or the actual windows setting ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

I just looked it up - default switch keys for windows language are left_alt+shift but it is possible to change this to ctrl+shift, so I guess maybe you have done this ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-02-23 10_22_46-Top 3 Way to Switch Between Input Language on Windows 10 PC.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	126398
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Use with caution. It punches through a Group to pick one of its objects and allows you to change the line width.
    ok I see what you mean, wonderful, just want I would want

one of the changes that caused me issues was no longer being able to 'punch through' 100% transparency... 99% transpaency does not hack it when you are exporting to other programs where that causes issues

I realise that it may not be straightforward with a website, but I don't do websites, and with drawings i take care, you cannot play fast and loose with animation stuff
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I just looked it up - default switch keys for windows language are left_alt+shift but it is possible to change this to ctrl+shift, so I guess maybe you have done this ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-02-23 10_22_46-Top 3 Way to Switch Between Input Language on Windows 10 PC.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	126398
    handrawn, thank you I never noticed the settings box before. I had mine on Ctrl+Shift for Switch Keyboard Layout.
    Now I have it set to None, I have banished all those keypress gremlins I had placed on Xara - sorry Xara.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Nothing lasts forever...