Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Mobile Phone App Anyone?

Just wondering if any TalkGraphics people have got involved in designing mobile apps? I have an opportunity to get into it, but not sure where to start (don't want to do manual coding).

Jim

Default Re: Mobile Phone App Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    Just wondering if any TalkGraphics people have got involved in designing mobile apps? I have an opportunity to get into it, but not sure where to start (don't want to do manual coding).

Jim
    I have made a few Jim.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I have made a few Jim.

Paul
    How does it compare to building websites? Were they template-based or from scratch? I would like to see them. I'm trying to retire but have a hard time passing up an income stream!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    How does it compare to building websites?
    It's completely different. All buttons need to be a minimal size because people use fingers not mice. The design is catered to a specific form factor - mobile and/or tablet. Designs must adapt if possible to different device size ratios. If there is a footer button bar, it's generally pinned to the bottom and scrollable content will scroll between the header and footer.

Care must be take about how the app is used.Often people are using the app single handed so it's good if most functions can be operated with a thumb. Unlike a desktop text/number entry may need a keyboard to pop-up so it's desirable to allow pages to scroll to enable the entry field to be visible.

There are various conventions for editing lists, drilling down into details, deleting entries etc.

If you are going to design mobile stuff you really need to be at home using apps and knowing the feel of how they operate.

That said, many of my apps are from client designs and can be very unconventional. Other times I make them from design to appstore submission. The majority of my clients are small businesses or design houses who can do most of the design but can't make it work. There is no 'typical' app that I make. Often I just get the difficult bits to program when the client is making the app themselves but needs help with it. Many of my clients appear then disappear as their business ideas don't work out.

Take a look here: https://www.ipauland.com/portfolio-ios.html

Were they template-based or from scratch?
    Always from a client design/storyboard or from scratch.

Paul

Nice clean design work Paul.

(The image for Dan Mitchell Comedy is either broken or missing.)

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Nice clean design work Paul.

(The image for Dan Mitchell Comedy is either broken or missing.)
    Thanks Gary. The website needs a good spruce-up.

Dan Mitchell has since moved on so I should remove him.

Paul