Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Smart Triangles

Thumbs down Smart Triangles

Dear Xara...

They aren't.

Again, I have a simple task - make a random triangle (one I actually want) and round its corners.

Triangles 1, 2, 5 & 6 are equilateral triangles, all with rounding. They are identical in form and function.
    Stretch any and the rounding is equally skewed. I expect circular corners.
    On no, I am wrong. Triangles 5 & 6 are difference - you rotated them 90o clockwise.
    If you experiment with Star 1, you can replace all of the above with it and get curves for free.

Triangles 3 & 4 (and 7 & 8). Identical. Now none has rounding.
    You can only adjust the Height or separately the Width.
    Gosh, you rotated 7 & 8 too.

Now we get mixing with right-angled Triangles 9 & 11 (with 10 & 12 (out of sequence but rotated)).
    Same limited controls as the last set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A posy of triangles.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	126371

Three designs:
    1. Equilateral triangle with vertex rounding. Sorry a Shape that can have 3 to 30 vertices.
    2. Isosceles triangle with H & W controls.
    3. Right-angled triangle with H & W controls.

No Acute triangle. I discount skewing.
    No Scalene triangle. I discount skewing.
    No Obtuse triangle.

Sorry I should have mentioned Trapezoids 1, 2 & 3. You can almost make all of the above with these.
    Can you see the problem?

All of these need a Smart Shape with the Controls on the vertices.
    I could forego rounding over gaining a generic triangle-maker.
    I can manage from there.

I would also be pleased if each vertex could be individually rounded.
    If I skew a triangle, I would expect a reset back to the original form.

What I would be really amazed with is some of your dragging blue controls were actually aware of the Xara canvas and other objects, grids or guides.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Smart Triangles

Good accurate observations, Acorn.
    I'm curious if you ever receive any responses / acknowledgments privately to these constructive Dear Xara posts?
    I don't recall any reactions or discussions with Xara responders here. Thank you.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Fred C; 17 February 2020 at 04:16 PM. Reason: clarify
    ~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C View Post
    Good accurate observations, Acorn.
    I'm curious if you ever receive any responses / acknowledgments privately to these constructive Dear Xara posts?
    I don't recall any reactions or discussions with Xara responders here. Thank you.
    Regards,
    Sadly Fred, replies or acks are probably like rocking horse d oeuvres, too rich for some.

I have been "told off" for beta-testing but I genuinely encounter these bugs and annoyances when I am using the programs. I am sorry that my usage exceeds Xara's expectations.

I get feedback for less than 5% but I don't mind as I usually use the lack of a response as a challenge to uncover a workaround.

One day there might be an Acorn Release.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Conversely, Xara should be glad that you are "beta testing", their product should be as bulletproof as possible ... "good enough" isn't actually good enough.

I love Xara, and will never jump ship, as their product works well enough for me ... but I can see that in the not too distant future. people who rely on stable bulletproof software for their livelihood will go somewhere else. Xara is fast becoming an app to make websites, and very little else.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.