Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default will it always be this PIA???

ok - sort of a new guy with XARA
    (making websites for almost 35 years -- so wish I found this program sooner!!!)
    anyway = situation
    as I knew I would be making hundreds of edits
    and after making some practice sites with 2 variants (normal and mobile)
    I decided to first make the site with just desktop (ie without tweaking every section on both variants
    works fine
    so I added a variant page (480 wide)
    and of course == 50% is all off the side (out of view)
    after editing a few text blocks by hand from 14 to 18 pt
    I learned about styles - so I Updated for JUST this variant
    also worked ok -- but again = now more than 50% off-page
    and some of my text blocks were tables and some were 2 columns
    and embedded photo widgets and many headers were text with 3d enhancements (which now won't scale)
    get the point? LOTS OF STUFF
    AND EDITING EVERY SECTION IS THE PIA
    DO I NEED TO JUST SUCK IT UP
    //

OR

can some of you 'smart dudes' give me so hints from all your experience
    I am projecting about 8-12 hours of work to tweak this all =by hand to edit the mobile variant
    BTW
    the HARDEST part = not tweaking each little section
    but not that the site s 2x longer (taller)
    is really hard to make an insert (ie add spaces to each section - ie slide the whole parts down)
    someone told me before how to do that -- but was not so easy

thanks !

Default Re: will it always be this PIA???

You might benefit from understanding how applying Auto-fit to page on shapes on Main will be rearranged when a Variant size is chosen.
    You could select the lower objects to be (Bottom Vertical, % position Horizontal). This is dependent on what the objects are so you need to consider Scale and Stretch too.

Don't worry about text going weird, you will have set up separate Styles for the Variants and so you can reapply this quite quickly.

When you are working, you can Create a Variant and Delete it and alter settings and try again, all very quickly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi. I make my mobile variant 400px (displays up to 760px) as I know it will display well on all phones and small tablets. When I made the variant using the default 480 there was invariably a bunch of problems, including displaying on my ipad as a mobile variant down the middle of the screen.

I make the desktop site first, then create the mobile variant in the web properties box. Of course once created, the elements from the desktop site do not fit, so I select all the elements on the mobile variant before I resize them, and choose stop sharing with variants. The first thing to do is then pull down the page on the mobile variant and make it really long so that you can then shuffle all the mobile elements around to fit and delete superfluous stuff that is fine for the desktop but not for the mobile. I have found this is the best way for me to avoid problems such as cut off/run-off text, images cut off, etc, and it avoids problems when you resize the mobile elements and do not want the desktop elements to change - and vice versa (which should not happen but it does). I also found that instead of using text boxes, I just use text lines on the variant, and this eliminates all the obvious problems that can happen with text on the mobile variant. Perhaps also on the mobile variant uncheck the Push properties on all the elements and text to stop them pushing other elements. I found it makes it easier to edit the mobile variant. Sounds fiddly, but once you get the hang of it, creating each mobile page is quite quick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mobile Variant Properties.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	126359
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

great scoop = ty!

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    You might benefit from understanding how applying Auto-fit to page on shapes on Main will be rearranged when a Variant size is chosen.
    You could select the lower objects to be (Bottom Vertical, % position Horizontal). This is dependent on what the objects are so you need to consider Scale and Stretch too.

Don't worry about text going weird, you will have set up separate Styles for the Variants and so you can reapply this quite quickly.

When you are working, you can Create a Variant and Delete it and alter settings and try again, all very quickly.

Acorn
    thanks == so much to learn

good thing I LIKE doing this stuff!