Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Angle of Selection

it would be so much better if xara allowed us the option to define our own origin point for rotation, eg the angle when created, instead of forcing us to use the one that is hard wired in

that said there may be issues with other functions if that were done, in which case a legacy option would be preferable
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Question Re: Angle of Selection

I understand the logic Xara has used. Each Point Handle has to have an orientation. Xara chose the set-up I described before so when you draw a vertical line upwards, it is just following the convention. Ditto for a Smart Line, it is presented horizontally left to right. However, I also felt a Challenge swell inside me.

I present Three Upright Straight Lines.xar.

Each was made in a different manner. All are Vertical with 0o orientation.

Can you come up with any of my three different solutions?
    All approaches must allow a Line to be created at any angle but the resultant angle for that orientation must still be 0o.

Acorn

P.S. The Lines can be saved and reused for any purpose.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I find out, when I draw a straght line with the shape tool „Make Curve” is the rotationpoint zero.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    I find out, when I draw a straght line with the shape tool „Make Curve” is the rotationpoint zero.
    Great ernie. You found one I didn't! It actually remembers what angle it was made at as when you rotate it with the Ctrl key down it no longer aligns up-down or left-right. We'll call this the Yellow solution.

I included a cheat: make it in an earlier version and copy back. This was my Green solution.

Two to go.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Draw a rectangel, convert to editible shapes and delete two pionts of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angle.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	126370

The same with a triangle.
    Last edited by ernie-f; 17 February 2020 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    Draw a rectangel, convert to editible shapes and delete two pionts of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angle.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	126370

The same with a triangle.
    ernie, you are cooking. That was my Blue solution.

My worst offering (Red) is to create a Line with Round cap. Convert Line to Shape and delete outer control points and add back a Line width.

If you do this with a Butt or Square cap you get into the same position as your Box solution.
    It equally works with a Circle but you have to remove the Smooth join.

Acorn

Hi Acorn,
    thx for the coock. I realy like to cooking and BBQ. Coocking inside XDP is not so my thing but I enjoyed the experiments.

Greets from Bavaria!
    Ernie