Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Angle of Selection

Does anyone know, how to stop 'Angle of Selection' working the way it does in DPX16?

Is there a registry setting that I can change to make it work the way it did in XDP11?

PLEASE can someone tell me if there is, because, it's frustrating the life out of me.

Thanking you in advance.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: Angle of Selection

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Does anyone know, how to stop 'Angle of Selection' working the way it does in DPX16?
    Is there a registry setting that I can change to make it work the way it did in XDP11?
    PLEASE can someone tell me if there is, because, it's frustrating the life out of me.
    Thanking you in advance.
    No, there is no relief on the horizon.

It is frustrating to get your head around it but it is possible.
    As way of contrast, I now get frustrated with the Skew angle of selection returning zero degrees after every operation. There is no simple way to determine what the current skew is and if you throw in a random rotation and skew again, you are totally lost.
    It is also annoying that a skew will update in the angle box but it fails to update the Angle of rotation.

You agreed elsewhere for a Reset to Zero. I therefore endorse a switch on/off capability as well.

My prior summary of how the Rotation of angle selection works is:
    Take 3 squares (R, G, B). Rotate B 1 degree.
    Select R, G & B [RotAngle displays Many].
    Rotate all by 25 degrees [RotAngle displays 25].
    Rotate B by #1 degree. Select R, G & B [RotAngle displays Many].
    Rotate all by #-25 [RotAngle displays Many].
    I want to keep individual Shape rotation of a Collection (not a Group).
    The failing is when a selection of objects has an angle of rotation applied, the selection should rotate by this angle around its common centre and not each object in the selection rotate by the angle of rotation about each object's centre.
    This approach simply replicates what occurs if you used the rotation handles.
    The current bodge is to turn the selection into a Group, rotate that and Ungroup.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I find that Xara remembers the angle an object was rotated basically good. I think you can convert an object to editable shapes and that resets the rotation angle to 0. But you may not always want to convert to editable shapes. Some way to reset would be useful.

I moved this thread to Dear Xara.

Here's the problem and I hope Xara/Magix can do something about it.

Item 1: I've drawn a wind turbine blade.

Item 2: I've now moved it to a vertical position.
    Please don't ask me why I didn't draw it in a vertical position, in the first place. I could explain it to you, but, that's not the point I'm making.

Item 3: I've drawn a circle, around which I will need two more blades. 360 divided by 3 is 120.
    I will need to clone the first blade and rotate it 120 degrees.
    You can see that when I select the blade it is showing an angle of -15.24 degrees. WHY? WHY? WHY?
    I now have to work out; do I add -15.24 to 120 or take it away from 120?
    How stupid is this?
    Then I need to clone again and then somehow work out some other maths. WHY? WHY? WHY?

Item 4: I've simply drawn a vertical line. When I select it, it show an angle of 90 degrees. WHY?
    It should be 0 degrees.

This is THE MOST STUPID FEATURE I've ever seen.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me a way of turning this off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angles.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	126360  

Info Re: Angle of Selection

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Here's the problem and I hope Xara/Magix can do something about it.

Item 1: I've drawn a wind turbine blade.
    Item 2: I've now moved it to a vertical position.
    Please don't ask me why I didn't draw it in a vertical position, in the first place. I could explain it to you, but, that's not the point I'm making.
    Item 3: I've drawn a circle, around which I will need two more blades. 360 divided by 3 is 120.
    I will need to clone the first blade and rotate it 120 degrees.
    You can see that when I select the blade it is showing an angle of -15.24 degrees. WHY? WHY? WHY?
    I now have to work out; do I add -15.24 to 120 or take it away from 120?
    How stupid is this?
    Then I need to clone again and then somehow work out some other maths. WHY? WHY? WHY?
    Item 4: I've simply drawn a vertical line. When I select it, it show an angle of 90 degrees. WHY?
    It should be 0 degrees.

This is THE MOST STUPID FEATURE I've ever seen.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me a way of turning this off.
    Rik, no maths. Clone and input #120. Clone and input #240. No need to rotate to vertical either. You can do it from any start angle.
    The use of the # was explained in the Release Note.

For Lines:
    • With the Shape Tool, click and then move to the right and Ctrl+Click: Horizontal line at 0o.
    • With the Shape Tool, click and then move up and Ctrl+Click: Horizontal line at 90o.
    • With the Shape Tool, click and then move to the left and Ctrl+Click: Horizontal line at 180o.
    • With the Shape Tool, click and then move down and Ctrl+Click: Horizontal line at -90o.

Xara starts angles along the X-axis and increases them through a rotation that is anti-clockwise (maths convention), flipping from positive to negative when it crosses the X-axis (left and down).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for that, Acorn.

But, I have no need for Xara to tell me what angle I've rotated something to.
    If I've rotated something, then deselected it. Then I'm happy for Xara to tell me that it's 0 degrees now.

And why does Xara think that it's OK for a vertical line, that's just been drawn, not drawn horizontally and rotated: Just a line that's drawn vertically to have a 90 degree angle on it already???

But, your answer is appreciated, Acorn.

it would be so much better if xara allowed us the option to define our own origin point for rotation, eg the angle when created, instead of forcing us to use the one that is hard wired in

that said there may be issues with other functions if that were done, in which case a legacy option would be preferable
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Question Re: Angle of Selection

I understand the logic Xara has used. Each Point Handle has to have an orientation. Xara chose the set-up I described before so when you draw a vertical line upwards, it is just following the convention. Ditto for a Smart Line, it is presented horizontally left to right. However, I also felt a Challenge swell inside me.

I present Three Upright Straight Lines.xar.

Each was made in a different manner. All are Vertical with 0o orientation.

Can you come up with any of my three different solutions?
    All approaches must allow a Line to be created at any angle but the resultant angle for that orientation must still be 0o.

Acorn

P.S. The Lines can be saved and reused for any purpose.

I find out, when I draw a straght line with the shape tool „Make Curve” is the rotationpoint zero.