Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Keep getting error- Failed to copy the Xars files support folder

Hi I have been working on updating our company website for days now and all of a sudden I start getting the message Error from Xara Designer Pro X - Failed to copy the XAR files support folder.

I have tried saving different copies but the message keeps appearing -can anyone help?

I have Xara Designer Pro X 16.3.0.5.7723 DLx64

Regards

Default Re: Keep getting error- Failed to copy the Xars files support folder

Quote Originally Posted by kickarsey View Post
    Hi I have been working on updating our company website for days now and all of a sudden I start getting the message Error from Xara Designer Pro X - Failed to copy the XAR files support folder.
    I have tried saving different copies but the message keeps appearing -can anyone help?
    I have Xara Designer Pro X 16.3.0.5.7723 DLx64
    Regards
    A support Folder is created with the same name as the XAR file where you have used a Placeholder to insert a referenced file that is external to your design.

It is therefore possible that the location of your XAR files has been moved but you didn't bring the Support Folder along. It will be named filename_xar_files/.
    Also check you have fully permissions to any such folder.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for your fast reply. I thought this was the case.

I have tried saving the file in different locations, most recently on my desktop, however, I do not see a corresponding folder filename_xar_files/. Should this be created when I do a "Save as"?

I think the original problem might have been caused by saving to Dropbox and the corresponding support folder was not synced and up to date when the file was saved.

Can I force Xara to recreate the support folder?

Your application can no longer find the path to the external files.
    You might be able to recover these files from folders under %LocalAppData%/Temp/XaraTempSupportFolders/.

You probably have to open each design file and Tab through the objects on the MouseOff Layer with Web Properties > Link Dialog open and spot each filename that appears in the Link to file Box.
    You might have also added graphics through Web Properties > Placeholder shown in its Replace with graphics file.

It is difficult to determine without seeing the design file.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Your application can no longer find the path to the external files.
    You might be able to recover these files from folders under %LocalAppData%/Temp/XaraTempSupportFolders/.

You probably have to open each design file and Tab through the objects on the MouseOff Layer with Web Properties > Link Dialog open and spot each filename that appears in the Link to file Box.
    You might have also added graphics through Web Properties > Placeholder shown in its Replace with graphics file.

It is difficult to determine without seeing the design file.

Acorn
    Thanks for your fast reply. I have noticed something else which I would like to share. So I opened the file today and there were no errors - I made a minor change -- clicked save and it saved without error. the error appears to happen only when Xara performs an autosave. Does that mean I need to concentrate on the directory with the autosave and not the "master" file?

Quote Originally Posted by kickarsey View Post
    Thanks for your fast reply. I have noticed something else which I would like to share. So I opened the file today and there were no errors - I made a minor change -- clicked save and it saved without error. the error appears to happen only when Xara performs an autosave. Does that mean I need to concentrate on the directory with the autosave and not the "master" file?
    Autosaving could well affect things if it is inaccessible as Xara would be looking for the contents there if you then saved the file.

A good bit of detecting.
    Have a look under Utilities > Options > Backups > Automatic backup options > Backup Box that the path exists and that you can save things into it from Windows Explorer.
    In the meantime, disable the automatic backing up until you have Saved properly at least once.

I have some 73 folders *_xar_files/ in my Backup folder so an important candidate area to keep working.

Acorn