Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Designer Fonts

Default Designer Fonts

I have a general question for everybody. There are several fonts that came with Designer, does everybody install them?

I find that I never look at the fonts that came with Designer to see if they would be good for a project because I never installed them. I usually just use what I have installed unless I need to go get something specific.

I have other software that has come with several packaged fonts that I have never installed either. So may have quite a bit of useful fonts that I never look at.

Ray

Default Re: Designer Fonts

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    I have a general question for everybody. There are several fonts that came with Designer, does everybody install them?

I find that I never look at the fonts that came with Designer to see if they would be good for a project because I never installed them. I usually just use what I have installed unless I need to go get something specific.

I have other software that has come with several packaged fonts that I have never installed either. So may have quite a bit of useful fonts that I never look at.

Ray
    There's a decent selection of 'look alikes' for some of the more popular/timeless typefaces. Some of the imitations are better than others, but I've used a couple of them. I still recommend getting a few of the mainstays like the entire helvetica family, for instance, or twentieth century as the more standard style typefaces aren't that great, imo. However, there's a couple that are a little better than those they're based on. It's a mixed bag, really. I'd say if you're using more traditional typefaces, I'd in general stick to the real ones. If you're looking for more contemporary/internety/hipster stuff, I wouldn't recommend any of the fonts in here for that. You're better off hitting up a typeface designer that specializes in that look.
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

I took the time to install quite a few of the fonts that came with Designer! I think if you take the time to look thru them you will find a few very interesting. I designed our little towns 4th of July banner using AnticFont which came with Designer and even though I did it for free, the village council offered to pay me they were so impressed! To be honest it was probably the simplest design I have did with xara and 95% of it was the font. I hope this helps.

Gypsyjoe

Xara applications install several fonts during installation whether one wants Xara applications to do so or not. There is no choice for those. The number of fonts installed this way has varied over the years.

It pisses me off that they do this. As soon as an Xara application install finishes I delete them. I use a font manager and do not appreciate it when applications do not give the user a choice as to the installation of fonts.

The Google fonts, especially for web work are good because Xara embeds these fonts when you use them for a website.

Some are better than others, but the price is right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Google Fonts.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	126319  

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsyjoe View Post
    I took the time to install quite a few of the fonts that came with Designer! I think if you take the time to look thru them you will find a few very interesting. I designed our little towns 4th of July banner using AnticFont which came with Designer and even though I did it for free, the village council offered to pay me they were so impressed! To be honest it was probably the simplest design I have did with xara and 95% of it was the font. I hope this helps.

Gypsyjoe
    Cute font, I never even looked at it before.

Gary,

What I am talking about is if you go under the Fonts Gallery located on the right side of the applications, there are a number of fonts that you can install. The one that Gypsyjoe mentioned above is one of these.

Ray

Ray

I have over 11,000 fonts on my system - not all installed I hasten to add - but there are many fonts I really like, so occasionally will go and find some specific ones. I was NOT aware that these fonts even existed for possible installation. Thank you for pointing them out.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.