Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Running two xara programs at the same time

Can I run two of the same version of xara on the same computer at the same time with different files loaded and processing?

Default Re: Running two xara programs at the same time

behzad,

I've tried it in the past, and it didn't work. I just tested again, opening up a second virtual window in Windows 10, and it moves back to the window where Xara is already open. I think it's one of those programs that Windows allows only one instance to be opened at a time. (No idea about Apple).

Incidentally, if it doesn't absolutely have to be the same version, you can run the two at the same time.

Info Re: Running two xara programs at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Can I run two of the same version of xara on the same computer at the same time with different files loaded and processing?
    I have a hotkey to open as many of the same version that I can press while the first is still loading.

I did this as a PowerShell file, or even a BATch file, but my keyboard has hotkey capability so it was easier.

Anyhow, only the first will load in prior documents to the Document Bar. They others complain with "A previous attempt to load documents on startup resulted in a serious error...". You could then open files from Files > Open recent.

It does mess with thing if you keep the same file on more than one and save one and just close the application on the others so a bit of discipline is needed.

I use it when I want two separate screen of Xara when I am working on a range of different things; the MDI approach with tabbing is not useful in such cases.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 12 February 2020 at 10:57 AM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

you certainly could open more than one instance of the same version, I've done it in the past... can't seem to do it now though, maybe there's a trick to it, or maybe the later vesion[s] don't do it, or as said, windows 10 is the issue one way or another...

EDIT - cross posted with Acorn
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Acorn I think you are talking about opening the same file in multiple instances, I was not, just more than one file open, each in it's own instance

I don't like the idea of forcing the same file to be open in more than one instance, sounds like a recipie for 'interesting times'... really do wish you could float the drawing windows out of the UI though
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Acorn I think you are talking about opening the same file in multiple instances, I was not, just more than one file open, each in it's own instance
    I don't like the idea of forcing the same file to be open in more than one instance, sounds like a recipie for 'interesting times'... really do wish you could float the drawing windows out of the UI though
    And all I was pointing out is if you have an extensive Document Tab with lots of loaded documents, a second instance would not load any of these so you cannot have two different sets accessible. You can open any file, duplicate or other, in the second or subsequent instance. Keeping them open and closing the second or subsequent application before closing the first might cause problems with the MS Windows Registry entries for them all.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

ok got that

how do you open two instances of the same xara version - I know I have done it but i seem to have forgotten, or my computer is being 'difficult'
    Nothing lasts forever...

Have a look at https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...s-open-at-once.

In a rough and ready way, you can double-click your application Shortcut several times before the first instance is fully loaded. This is a bit haphazard for me but luckily I have a keyboard that has programmable Shortcuts to semi-automatically do it for me.
    You could script it with AutoHotkey or a CMD file.

Acorn

I do it by double clicking the start icon on my taskbar, just tried it to see how many I could open at once. Best I could do was 6 instances, way more than enough for me!

yep simple as that, thanks, just need to be quick with the repeat clicks

I think acorn may have confused me [easily done] with the hotkey stuff...
    Nothing lasts forever...