Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Update to the update service notification on startup

Hi all,

There seems to be several threads on this subject so I thought it would be easier to do one post here instead of replying to all of them individually.

Since version 16.3 there was a fairly major change to the update service, in that previously we could only detect minor updates (i.e. 16.2 > 16.3). If we released a major version then users would have to download a whole new version from the website again and the help > check for updates would not report any newer version. Now this will detect Major versions as well and prompt to download the installer if necessary.

Now I don't know the technicalities of this service (as the update service belongs purely to Magix) but it is a separate program that runs alongside the main installation of Xara to keep an eye out for any updates and prompt you to update. This second program also needs updating occasionally to fix issues, which is what you will see on startup (and occasionally windows UAC screen will prompt to run the program). If you see it I would advise to allow it to update.

I apologize on Magix's behalf, there is a great lack of communication as to what has been updated and what this update service program is. We have complained to them about this and in the future they will include release notes with the updates and also communicate better.

I have heard reports of some update service update screens (I know...) freezing or not actually updating, in which you will have to contact Magix about this. I'm afraid I (or we, Xara) can't help with it. You can either use their support channels http://support.magix.net or use infoservice@magix.net.

If you have any questions I will do my best to try and find some answers.

Thanks
    Rob

Thumbs down Re: Update to the update service notification on startup

Rob, welcome back after quite a long gap.

The point was the Update Service updater is launched from within your application environment. It is not up to punters to second-guess who is responsible for what. Xara is and through TPAs / SLAs with Magix need to work out how to handle incidents that are not just individually raised issues but are collective problems.

I have disabled the Online folder by renaming it to OnlineXXX and UPS to UPSXXX.
    Q: What have I gained?
    A: A working application.
    To evidence this please look back at https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...925#post617925 raised on 04 December last year. For this to be raised then and no one in MagiXaraLand to have not even acknowledged it in over two months is the underlying concern.
    I know this disabling may affect other things like deactivation, update checking, Magix tracking but I am happy to do this for now, knowing I am in control.
    So now v16.3 is overall faster than v11, as it ought to be.

Most of my other programs have a little button to manually check for updates, not an Online folder of 24MB and a UPS folder of 177MB, seemingly there to Nag.
    Indeed, they usually offer a separate "load on start-up" utility that automatically checks for you; the point being, you can disable it without compromising the main application.

On the Magix Nag Hooks, look again at https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...156#post592156.
    I have tweaked my CFG file to point these Nags to something more responsible.

Rule One - No surprises.
    Rule Two - Offer to download all the Online Content Catalogue.
    Rule Three - When someone buys something, let them keep it (meta-rule covering Rule Two and application updates).

Acorn

Test XWD11P XDPXv16.3 Disappointment
    Factor
    Online & UPS Folders disabled
    Startup 5.4 13.8 250% 4.5
    File > Page Options <<1 5.8 >>580% <<1
    Line gallery > Document brushes 1 7.2 720% 2.5
    Utilities > Options <<1 6.1 >>610% <<1
    Online Content Catalogue (OCC) 1.7 1 59% <1
    OCC > Delivery van 1 1.7 5.1 300% 2.0
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Update to the update service notification on startup

The issue with long loading times has been discovered and fixed (although I haven't tested it yet), I would need to take a look if it fixes other issues.

Rob,

Any idea when this fix will be released?

Ray

In the next update I believe. Due in a few weeks, give or take if there are any issues that need fixing.

Once again, I was asked to Renew the Update Service

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020.02.11_11h47m51s_004.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	126313

So I decided to follow this particular rabbit down the rabbit hole, and clicked on the Start Installation button (AGAIN) ...
    I was then asked by the UAC to allow this application to make changes to my computer. At this point, I clicked on DETAILS, and was given a path to follow. I hunted down this path and came to the Update service 5.7.31.74.exe file.
    Right clicking on this file and Running as Administrator, was the only way to get this to run where I could see it, and it gave the following message.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020.02.11_11h44m36s_002.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	126314

Which is probably why it doesn't ever appear to do anything. Which is really odd, since the software I obviously don't have, was the same software that generated the request to Renew the Update service in the first place.

This also is probably something which needs fixing ...
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 11 February 2020 at 06:36 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I can confirm the same with trial of P&GD 16

I wonder if the fact that it is referencing 'targetreg Foto_Grafik_Designer_16' has anything to do with it ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Rob, as the ‘long loading times’ issue affects older versions, ie v16.1, will the fix be available for everyone? v16.1 didn’t have the problem when it was first released.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

I thought this issue was only introduced since version 16.3? I think acorn brought it up here https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...?82684-Timings which means if your on earlier versions I imagine it should be fine...

But I'm not entirely sure if this will be fixed for V16.3 owners... something you would have to bring up with Magix unfortunately as it relates to the update service.

Rob and Acorn. Not sure if this is the same thing, but WD has indicated to me an update is available. I go thru the various steps and absolutely nothing happens. This happens every second day without fail. I close the program, click the update. Nothing, no download, no changes. Within the program I’ve manually checked for updates and within the program it tells me that the program is up to date. It’s like a false notification on a loop.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.