Hi all,

There seems to be several threads on this subject so I thought it would be easier to do one post here instead of replying to all of them individually.

Since version 16.3 there was a fairly major change to the update service, in that previously we could only detect minor updates (i.e. 16.2 > 16.3). If we released a major version then users would have to download a whole new version from the website again and the help > check for updates would not report any newer version. Now this will detect Major versions as well and prompt to download the installer if necessary.

Now I don't know the technicalities of this service (as the update service belongs purely to Magix) but it is a separate program that runs alongside the main installation of Xara to keep an eye out for any updates and prompt you to update. This second program also needs updating occasionally to fix issues, which is what you will see on startup (and occasionally windows UAC screen will prompt to run the program). If you see it I would advise to allow it to update.

I apologize on Magix's behalf, there is a great lack of communication as to what has been updated and what this update service program is. We have complained to them about this and in the future they will include release notes with the updates and also communicate better.

I have heard reports of some update service update screens (I know...) freezing or not actually updating, in which you will have to contact Magix about this. I'm afraid I (or we, Xara) can't help with it. You can either use their support channels http://support.magix.net or use infoservice@magix.net.

If you have any questions I will do my best to try and find some answers.

Thanks
Rob