Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Photo and Graphics Designer

Trying to figure out how to delete the background from an eps vector file and I get the following error. Little help would be great.

"Can't identify the photo to which a background erase operation should be applied" "Select the target photo and try again"

Thank you,
    John

PS - Followed the following video exactly: https://youtu.be/mM1TdS2z0m0

Default Re: Xara Photo and Graphics Designer

Welcome to TalkGraphics

If it is a vector file then select the background and delete it. If the objects are grouped, then hold down the Ctrl key and click to select just the background.

What is on the EPS file? And are you sure it is vector. Target photo would suggest that all or part of the EPS document might be a bitmap (photo).

John, the error is because there is no image in a vector. Follow Gary's instructions or Create bitmap copy and work on that.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Well... the image is like 800x600 and I need it 4167x5400 so I don't think a bitmap is gona work for me.

Thanks tho...
    J

OK so you are dealing with a bitmap and a very low one at that considering the size you want it to be. What is the source of the EPS file?

EPS files (or PDF or other file formats that support vectors) if they contain vectors can be scaled up or down to any size without loss of sharpness. But a bitmap/photo is a fixed resolution and can usually only be scaled down not up.

The technique in the YouTube video was the solution before the more recent versions.

The solution in the newer versions is to use the Select Colors to Enhance tool in the Photo Tool fly out.

This works best when there is a fairly good difference between the background and the other subject matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	select colors to enhance.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	126311  

NO I AM NOT! What I am dealing with is clear from my FIRST post...

An EPS vector file.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BiggyJ View Post
    An EPS vector file. Thanks
    Equally, in agreeing with you in my first Post, I said that the Tool only works on Bitmaps.

As you have no bitmaps, you need to ungroup and delete the background.

If the vector is a dog's dinner then scale up really large, create a 300dpi Bitmap copy and work on that.

Uploading your EPS would work wonders.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Can you post a screen capture of the image?

Smile Re: Xara Photo and Graphics Designer

No need to shout, members on TG do their best to assist and advise.

Just because your file is an EPS doesn't mean it's a pure vector content.

What is an EPS file?

An EPS file is a graphics file saved in the Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) file format. It may contain 2D vector graphics, bitmap images, and text. EPS files also include an embedded preview image in bitmap format.

Better still attach your .eps file
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

if the file contains a bitmap this will show up in the bitmap gallery and you can then select it using the name gallery and then delete/edit it

if when you import your eps (for the first time per document) no new bitmaps are added to the gallery, there are none in the eps

bitmaps may be grouped or clipped/embedded and the photo erase may not find them which i think is gary's point, or there are non, which is acorn's.....

there is never a reason to shout...

as has been said, if you are certain it is vector only, no use using a photo erase tool, you will need to look at the stack in the object and layer gallery to identify the object used behind the others , you may need ungroup/expand groups within that gallery to find it/them
    Last edited by handrawn; 11 February 2020 at 06:09 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...