Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Making the XDPXv16.3 PDF Manual work for you

My thoughts on this subject? Glad you asked...

A PDF manual should be installed when the application is installed. The help menu item for such a PDF should link to that installed copy.

If Xara/Magix desires to ever have a link to the web for a manual, it ought to be a proper html5 version that can be updated and have a full index of terms to aid in searching.

A new PDF should be installed during an update.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    My thoughts on this subject? Glad you asked...
    A PDF manual should be installed when the application is installed. The help menu item for such a PDF should link to that installed copy.
    If Xara/Magix desires to ever have a link to the web for a manual, it ought to be a proper html5 version that can be updated and have a full index of terms to aid in searching.
    A new PDF should be installed during an update.
    I don't know. Perhaps the decision ought to go to a committee in a room full of elephants that they are overlooking...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-1x-1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	126585
    [Source: https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/.../v1/-1x-1.jpg; Photo illustration by Justin Metz]

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@ mwenz

of course
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

And, as of X17 manual there are NO bookmarks as in previous editions. Oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by Panchdara View Post
    And, as of X17 manual there are NO bookmarks as in previous editions. Oh well....
    Truly underwhelming isn't it.

@Xara - please up your game.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I just checked the latest Magix Video Pro X. Under Help, it says "Download manual" and this opens the following screen:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VPX-Download manual screen.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	126590

Is this what happens with Xara 17 and the later version 16?

I am still at 16.2.0.5... so clicking on "Open manual" actually opens the one on my hard drive.

I think that many programs open the manual directly from the internet without downloading it, whereas Xara and other Magix programs do not. The problem with this is that the version may not correspond to the version/update that you actually have (another Update Service problem). There should be a proper place to put the manual and the button (link) "Open pdf manual" should open it. There should also be a "Download pdf manual" button/link that does exactly that and prompts you to replace the existing one.

Unfortunately, in my experience, too many users do not have the computer skills to download, move/put the downloaded file in an appropriate location and put a shortcut on the desktop. Thus, the process should be simplified. It is, after all, the manual for the program.

Also, the manual should have a version number. AFAICS, right now there is no way to know which version you have, no way to know if you have the latest version, no way to know if it corresponds to the installed Xara version, no list of manual versions anywhere, no way to know if an update has been released, and no simple way to know if an updated manual has been installed with a new version (at least, I don't think that there is).

I don't even know if the chm file has been updated to include whatever new features came out in an update. My experience with other Magix products is that the new features show up a couple of updates down the road.

So, Acorn, keep plugging away at getting Xara and Magix to fix this, everywhere.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

To any Mod - this really has to go into the Dear Xara Forum (a.k.a. Black Hole).
    Thanks.

Guess how I find out changes?
    I unpack the CHM file and then have a pile of HTML files that I can perform a DIFF on them.

I see little evidence that the developer is tasked to document changes against Defect Lists that require ancillary changes to other things that are essential to support the change.
    If Rob-Xar acts as sweeper-up, it is unfair on his position and wasteful for countless others.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    To any Mod - this really has to go into the Dear Xara Forum (a.k.a. Black Hole).
    Thanks.
    In these very difficult times, here's a ray of light.... https://forum.affinity.serif.com/ind...-want-to-help/