Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Info Making the XDPXv16.3 PDF Manual work for you

In XDPXv16.3 for some obscure (Magix) reason when you select Help > PDF Manual you are expected to download the same file for every access.
    Help > PDF Manual launches https://rdir.magix.net/?page=APQN0PQHQ3FD, which in turn goes to http://dl03.magix.net/manual_designerprox16_en.pdf.

This is the workaround I use.

Do the above for the first time (and only) and rename the PDF file to Manual - 16dot3.pdf.
    Close XDPX - you don't have to make it maintains the voodoo.

Find you version of this folder: file:///C:/Program Files/Xara/Xara Designer Pro X/16/HelpAndSupport/ENG/.
    It should contain xarax.chm and possibly earlier versions of the PDF Manual; these started from v16.0.

Locate C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\Product_eng.cfg and use a text editor with admin privilege, change this line:
    Code:
    PDFManualLink=https://rdir.magix.net/?page=APQN0PQHQ3FD
    to
    Code:
    PDFManualLink=file:///C:/Program Files/Xara/Xara Designer Pro X/16/HelpAndSupport/ENG/Manual - 16dot3.pdf
    If worried, copy the file first.

Now Help > PDF Manual opens your locally-stored version.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Making the XDPXv16.3 PDF Manual work for you

Thanks Acorn.
    Never searching where the PDF-Manual is stored and open it up from Xara, a great relief if you want read up something.

Thanks Acorn,
    Followed your instruct works great.

Smile Re: Making the XDPXv16.3 PDF Manual work for you

To summarise:
    @Magix

Acorn

P.S. the last Smiley has a link.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

That post made my night!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The farce continues. The same muck around with the XDA v17.0 > Help > PDF Manual jumping to a Magix link that insists on a full download each and every use.

@Xara - do you actually care at all? Do you actually ever try to use the detritus that you and Magix churn out?

Acorn

P.S. Will a Mod move this to the Dear Xara Forum.

I am wondering if magix logic is their way means that you are always looking at an up to date manual ? - now this may well be more principle than substance as I have no idea how often the manual is updated within a version number, if at all

there is [or at least for me] an option to open the PDF in my default PDF app, and I have downloaded the file for use offline

I have other programs where the help link is online only [and therefore, hopefully at least, up to date], with a seperate option to save/download; the annoyance for me with the magix way, is not going directly into the manual
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I am wondering if magix logic is their way means that you are always looking at an up to date manual ? - now this may well be more principle than substance as I have no idea how often the manual is updated within a version number, if at all
    there is [or at least for me] an option to open the PDF in my default PDF app, and I have downloaded the file for use offline
    I have other programs where the help link is online only [and therefore, hopefully at least, up to date], with a seperate option to save/download; the annoyance for me with the magix way, is not going directly into the manual
    No, there is no logic.If an application links always forces a download without checking that it is new then the logic is utterly wrong.

MagiXara are failing to see that a product and its support are two sides of the same coin. Without either, you have a defaced your currency. Without both, you are a blank commodity.

Acorn

ok well we can argue that both ways - all i said was in principle, magix could update what was available to download if they chose to work that way, and like i said, you can just open the pdf in the browser/viewer, you dont have to download duplicate files - apart from not opening directly i don't see this being significantly different to what happens with photoshop, or for that matter toon boom
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok well we can argue that both ways - all i said was in principle, magix could update what was available to download if they chose to work that way, and like i said, you can just open the pdf in the browser/viewer, you dont have to download duplicate files - apart from not opening directly i don't see this being significantly different to what happens with photoshop, or for that matter toon boom
    My objection is having a defunct submenu option (Help > PDF Manual) that always forces a download. Why should I have to take special measures (as listed) or remember NOT to click an option and go to a safe place to look at a document I frequently access. If the link went to the PDF directly, my browser cache would not download it until there was an update. There is no such option.

Acorn