Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Image Slicing

Bug Image Slicing

Dear Xara...

I admit I have never used Image Slicing.

Today, I found you cannot do this if the objects overlap.

If you set an object's Web Properties > Image > Web image type to JPEG, this is ignored.
    It is all or nothing in the slicing Dialog where, at least, you can pick JPEG, PNG, BMP & GIF.
    Sadly, no SVG.

Bug - if you chose an export path other than the initial offered one, a preview cannot be found.
    Failed to open web browser onto web address 'untitled.htm'. Please make sure the web address is correct and complete.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Image Slicing

is image slicing an operation that is actually relevant to vector (svg) ?

my understanding is it is to speed up site loading - would that work if images overlap ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    is image slicing an operation that is actually relevant to vector (svg) ?
    my understanding is it is to speed up site loading - would that work if images overlap ?
    I just don't know. I can imagine a time when <TABLE> was use to define locations on a page and each <TD> had a sliced image.
    I cannot see anyone slicing images to save time. The badly-introduced "Separate images for group members" seems to fit the need far better.

If this last fit the need then the spin-off would be exporting out separated SVGs, which makes for crisper presentations.
    At present, I work hard to ensure most of my output is a (rounded-corner) Box with Linear Gradients and horizontal text as these get rendered as vector.

@Xara - rotated text is easily handled with transform: rotate(angle);

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I just don't know. I can imagine a time when <TABLE> was use to define locations on a page and each <TD> had a sliced image.
    I cannot see anyone slicing images to save time. The badly-introduced "Separate images for group members" seems to fit the need far better.

If this last fit the need then the spin-off would be exporting out separated SVGs, which makes for crisper presentations.
    At present, I work hard to ensure most of my output is a (rounded-corner) Box with Linear Gradients and horizontal text as these get rendered as vector.

@Xara - rotated text is easily handled with transform: rotate(angle);

Acorn
    I think multiple small images make a page look like it's loading faster because stuff is appearing sooner than waiting for a larger image to download. That's more about them days of dial-up clockwork internet.

more or less what i thought
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...