Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text & Image Groups

Prompted by a desire to see text-as-text when grouped (in another TG thread), I have used two suggestions: (1) naming the enclosed text "HTMLText" and (2) using only Soft Groups, versus soft grouping groups on the MouseOver & MouseOff layers.

It could be my mistake, but it appears if a link is set to index there are some bizarre effects which I cannot get to grips with. Below are three images, MouseOver layer, MouseOff layer and a Preview. If a button link is set to index, it appears to shift right when I have used either the HTML name, only soft groups or set a rectangle with an outline. My first thought was I had not correctly aligned both layers, but toggling between the two seems to show them aligned. The issue does not appear to occur if I set a link other than index, with the exception that if a button has text named HTMLText, occasionally the mouseover shows the mouseover layer shifted to the right.

Text in all cases was centred.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text_Image Group MouseOver Layer.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	126274 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text_Image Group MouseOff Layer.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	126275 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text_Image Group Preview.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	126276

I have attached the XAR doc for reference.

Any thoughts on what I have done incorrectly much appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Text & Image Groups

You've done nothing wrong. Using Page: index causes a FAIL.

I have had these issues for a long time and I think I Dear Xara'd such well over two years ago.

If you use Centre or Fully Justify, you get the jump.
    I can then get fails for # links but all links too as it is dependent on the direction and speed of entering the live button areas.

I have tried Text Lines, Columns and Areas along with NAM(E)ing them HTMLText and HTMLBlockText.
    I gave up after HTMLBlockText (this changes the text to a block of text rather than a nest of SPANs).
    Where things go wronger is the second you stretch a the text, even by accident, you are lemoned with a transform scale styling that also includes transform-origin; I think this also causes the sideways lurch.

It is not our job to fudge around Xara's mistakes when it just layers and layers defect upon defect.
    This is why I build buttons in CSS. Start off with something like https://www.bestcssbuttongenerator.com/.

It is refreshing to see someone with a structured approach.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I group the text with the button and then soft group the two buttons on both layers. There is a relatively new setting in Image Separate Images for Group Members.

I do not get any shift on the index button.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I group the text with the button and then soft group the two buttons on both layers. There is a relatively new setting in Image Separate Images for Group Members.
    I do not get any shift on the index button.
    Agreed, but you get 18 bitmaps where the text is blocky at scale. This happened here as you chose to make the buttons into a NavBar, which fails for the separated group images.

We are striving for crisper vector outputs.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you Acorn and Gary.

I did try separate images within the group and saw no difference in clarity between that and a single group image when using Xara's standard NavBar. I think when you significantly magnify this in a browser you can see the text still converts to an image. When it does, the text becomes slightly fuzzy. I still find if I create a button on its own (with separate images, text and graphic) and link it to index the button distorts. It seems a quirk of Xara's NavBar that it rectifies the distortion issue when its uses the distorted button. It's irritating the issue exists, but most website visitors would not notice it. I will have a go at Acorn's CSS idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text versus Image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	126282

Thank you for the ideas and thoughts.
    Last edited by Initiostar; 05 February 2020 at 08:26 PM.

The idea behind the Separate Images in a Group was that the text would remain editable text. Though looking at the index.html file it shows the text as a bitmap. Never mind.

Smile Re: Text & Image Groups

Gary, as a small consolation, here is a CSS gary-style CSS Button Bar, just for you.

No images were harmed in the making of this bar.

CSS Button Bar.xar

Acorn

P.S. I deleted you original image as it add 6.3MB to the file size.