Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: An excellent mass email program

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Here's my dilemma: could care less = couldn't care less???

Mr Mitchell explains the problem at 50 seconds in, including a graph. I don't know the gentleman, nor the show, I just liked the way he explained situation. He also vilified my thoughts, so he has to be a good egg
    He's having fun with the expression.

In another context it can be used sarcastically to imply that the person does care while denying it, as Mitchell says, but that's not so in all contexts and certainly not true in my usage. While the phrase literally says one thing (that it would be possible to care less because the person does care to some degree), in common usage, with the 'not' missing that's not the meaning but it actually depends on context.

It's a subtle thing but my "could care less" phrase is used in this case to mean "could not care less" and I am unapologetic about it because the exact meaning can be nuanced according to context (and clever contextual wordplay).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    the only answer I can come up with is Americanisation.
    I'm just curious what Americanization has to do with it? While I am truly American, I have heard the expression from both the Brits and the Aussie's also. But then I truly could care less!!!!

Back to the Thread.
    My ask is if the program worth $9/m for 500 punters?

https://app.tinyletter.com/ (from MailChimp) is free and very, very simple.
    I also use MS Word Mail Merge but I'm Old School liking to control my own data.

Acorn

P.S. Americans use "could care less" four times more often that UK writers. "Could care less" only works if said sarcastically. In written prose, it is grammatically incorrect. I, too, couldn't care less unless it relates back to Xara who are well and truly cemented to the base of David Mitchell's graph.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

thats because the US expression means 'i could always care less than i actually do, even though that is not very much at all'
    which is, on the surface intrinsically polite, but sarcastic
    . wheras 'couldnt care less' is blunt and to the point
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    thats because the US expression means 'i could always care less than i actually do, even though that is not very much at all'
    which is, on the surface intrinsically polite, but sarcastic
    . wheras 'couldnt care less' is blunt and to the point
    Got it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Good to see your replies!
    First: Gary, Tombstone is alive and well. Even though the Millennials don't know who Wyatt Earp was... since 1881, several other American cities have had far more memorable gunfights. But Hollywood makes movies about ours, happily. Tourism is up with the economy; we are redneck redstate, pretty much, in contrast to nearby Bisbee, which is Calif coast liberal.
    You could think of Tombstone as a secret oasis, in the midst of the American mall-ized clutter. We have no stoplights. No fast foods. The cleanest air in the country, being a military no-fly zone, and no polluting industry, either. Pure city water direct from springs high in the Huachuca Mountains, over by the Army fort where the Buffalo Soldiers set out to hunt Apaches, long ago. Had Apache dancers back in town recently... here's one on a map of the area. Imagine these guys coming at you; they terrified the Anglos and Mexicans back when. Anyway... keep us in mind if you want to experience a real true west town... an alive town, not Disneyland, with bright red stagecoaches rattling down our dirt main street, and a few recent gunshot holes in the ceilings of our saloons. The newspapers missed the story on the last one, not reporting that the gunman had a black powder cap-and-ball 1860 Navy Colt revolver, which actually worked... one round in the ceiling of Doc Holliday's, the other in the other fellow's leg. We are officially a Second Amendment city, in an open carry state. Not that any locals wear a gun to town, they are heavy, and your pants might fall down. But out in the nearby Tombstone Hills, where all the silver mines were... if you get bit by a rattler, you have to shoot it and take it with you to the hospital, so as to get the proper king of antivenom. But not much else to use a gun for around here... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hwy-map.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	126333
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com