Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
I have never understood why anyone would mention that they care when they are clearly trying to portray they don't. I've even gone as far as searching the Internet (which is never incorrect) and the only answer I can come up with is Americanisation.
"Could care less" is a typical British phrase and it means exactly what it says - the person could not care less - so it's not trying to be clever and imply that the person does care through some clever phraseology. "Could care less" means the person does not care. I guess that one of the common forms of usage of "could care less" omits the "not" and that's where your interest in the phrase comes from.

The very British, tongue in cheek David Mitchell describes my way of thinking way better than I can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
I like David Mitchell but I am at a loss as to the relevance of the clip. As far as Americanisation goes, I am as British as David Mitchell is, but he does win when it comes to Englishness. He is a lot of fun on a game show called "Would I lie to you?" in the UK and also pops up on many other shows. I would say his style is "posh, clever wordplay" and he is generally a joy to listen to.

I'm not sure if this post helps anyone or not!

Paul (British not American).