Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Publish one page only

I want to be able to publish just one page to the server/upload it.
    I do not want the program to check all other pages. This takes way too long to do.

How possible is that Xara to do? Since you already have view one page.

Default Re: Publish one page only

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    I want to be able to publish just one page to the server/upload it.
    I do not want the program to check all other pages. This takes way too long to do.
    How possible is that Xara to do? Since you already have view one page.
    I am sure this has been asked before.

Xara assumes all images are new on a page as if you add, promote or delete one, it appears in a different checking sequence.
    It is safest to assume that all your images will be renamed, especially if you use the Highslide feature (Pop-up image) or animation effect.

There is no concept of a single page in a Supersite, presentation or print document.

Change a font or a colour and you are changing css files somewhere.

Xara tries to address this with its Utilities > Share > Settings: tick Fast Publish to only publish those files that have changed.
    As I said above, Xara's approach causes many files to be renamed anyhow.

The solution.
    For large statement images, use filename="importantImageXyz". In extremis, I separate out large files to a folder and link them through a Placeholder.
    Avoid Photo pop-ups, use your own Pop-up Lays.
    Avoid Xara NavBars and Buttons, unless you know how to separate image from text and 'filename' repeating images. A 7-button NavBar could have three states and for just 7 pages you hare republishing 150 images.
    Learn how to use CSS in Page Placeholders to reduce external file calls for large CSS and JS files.
    Keep Fonts and Styles to a minimum.
    Avoid page size changes.
    Avoid Supersites.
    Keep the number of Variants low.

Try a separate FTP publishing strategy if you want absolute control and you know your changes are actually minimal.

Accept some republishing will take a long time so get more computer memory and Export locally and FTP from there as this is avoiding the Internet lags.

Do the above and most of your changes will be to the HTM files, which should be quite small file sizes.
    If these are large, then your site(s0 are over-complex so spend time simplifying.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@ Acorn

Very good advice all round, but can I ask one question?

Avoid Xara NavBars and Buttons, unless you know how to separate image from text
    I do not use any Xara templates; I create a button with a rectangle or image, add the text and group both (sometimes I add a mouseover too and softgroup the two groups). In this scenario what is the best way to retain text as text, if that is possible?

Thanks Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    @ Acorn
    Very good advice all round, but can I ask one question?
    I do not use any Xara templates; I create a button with a rectangle or image, add the text and group both (sometimes I add a mouseover too and softgroup the two groups). In this scenario what is the best way to retain text as text, if that is possible?
    Thanks Gary
    Highlight the text with the Selector tool and add the Name, HTMLText. Group with the block and the text stays as text.

I actually soft-group the text and block then soft-group the MouseOff & MouseOver versions.
    That way I don't need the HTMLText name.

I also go a step further and I set up the text on each layer with a Paragraph Background and a mouse-over Effect (say, Shake) to create a lightweight button. All text, no graphics.
    I might then add one box underneath both texts to give an edging, rounding or shadow; again no graphics.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you for your help, Gary

There is an option in Web Properties > Image Separate Image for Group Members that theoretically maintains the text as text even when the text is grouped with the button shape object. I have not tried this recently so I am not sure if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    There is an option in Web Properties > Image Separate Image for Group Members that theoretically maintains the text as text even when the text is grouped with the button shape object. I have not tried this recently so I am not sure if it works.
    And have you been told that any professional xara template with NavBars / Buttons has been so refreshed. It still doesn't work properly: ungroup the NavBar, apply separate images for group member, remake the NavBar, ungroup and not all changes are for nothing.. Part of the reason I avoid NavBars. Others are blocky at scale. No parts named for CSS enhancement or pure simplicity. No Mousedown capability. No matching of sub-menu fonts ot styling to the NavBar.

What joy too when Xara trashed all existing websites by imposing this change, without announcement, unilaterally.

Half-(baked, witted, hearted, penny): your choice.

Acorn