Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thumbnails move when page size is adjusted

Interesting problem. I have a large number of thumbnails on the same layer. Each thumbnail expands to a larger photo of dogs that need homes.

Once I've set the position of the thumbnails just right - I usually have to adjust the size of my page. (the numbers of the thumbs will change) I adjust the bottom margin upwards by moving the blue dotted line.

When I adjust the size of the page, all the thumbnails end up in a bit of a vertical jumble. - then I have to go back and redo the spacing of the thumbnails once again.

I've tried to 'group' all the thumbnails prior to resizing of the page - but I'm amazed that the thumbnails actually move in the group when I adjust the page. I have not tried to 'lock' the group prior to resizing. I could make an entirely separate layer just for the thumbs I suppose, then lock that entire layer.

I can't quite figure this one out. For a better understanding of the layout here's the page. https://northeastspca.org/dogs.htm
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Info Re: Thumbnails move when page size is adjusted

Bill, you could have fallen into the problem with some having different Auto-fit to Page settings or even a few with a Push value.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Thumbnails move when page size is adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Bill, you could have fallen into the problem with some having different Auto-fit to Page settings or even a few with a Push value.

Acorn
    Since I inherited this website from a Xara user using a template initially you could be right. That was my suspicion. I’ll check all those settings. Thanks Acorn
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Interesting that all Push and Auto fit options are off. I took 40 thumbnails and put them on one layer, then locked the layer. It helped a great deal; but if a particular thumbnail had a custom “drop image onto” option that image moved when page size was adjusted. Always learning!
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Interesting that all Push and Auto fit options are off. I took 40 thumbnails and put them on one layer, then locked the layer. It helped a great deal; but if a particular thumbnail had a custom “drop image onto” option that image moved when page size was adjusted. Always learning!
    Bill, can you upload a simple version of your thumbs with the special option; I cannot get my head around it.

Thanks.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Could you not use a Photo Grid? It would make life easier in the future too.

Make sure Lily has an extra treat from me.

@chrism. I am using photo grids on a couple of pages. The challenge is 53 thumbnails. I designed a straight grid for all the thumbnails because of additions and deletions daily, which is good for an animal shelter.

Lily is just fine and I’ll say hello. As well as 53 cats.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Bill, can you upload a simple version of your thumbs with the special option; I cannot get my head around it.

Thanks.

Acorn
    Sorry Acorn. Terminology. That would be a *smart frame* aka drop the photo onto the frame. Smart frames from the catalogue.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Info Re: Thumbnails move when page size is adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Sorry Acorn. Terminology. That would be a *smart frame* aka drop the photo onto the frame. Smart frames from the catalogue.
    Bill, I find Smart Frames anything but. They are mutton dressed as lamb.
    Whatever trapping you tweak them with, you inherit if you use Photo pop-up.

I prefer mutton, using basic Xara tools (pre-Smart) that Pop-up Layers.
    Finer control and presentation for the cost of learning some basic features that can be repeated and varied as you choose and not constrained by a designer remote from your work.

Whimsy.xar uses the two Smart Frames and Photo pop-up on the left.
    I did the same with Pop-up Layers on the right and rework the thumbnails bottom right.

I threw in a made up design across the bottom to show that no Xara designer would think of such a thing but I did and immediately could see all sorts of opportunities...

...I could make a 16x4 thumb grid accessing 64 Layers or Pages. Pages would be better because I would "retire" a page when the cat had secured a new home but remove its thumb (not literally) for the next inmate.
    The new owner could keep a link to their Cat#1305 page and you have a historical record to show as a "cat"alogue page for the casual mouser (sorry, browser).

Acorn

Many thanks @acorn. I’ll definitely play with that.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design