Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nag Screens

Default Re: Nag Screens

so the update to the program update checker/installer [as opposed to the actual program itself] is failing for some people ?

I'd be looking at security settings, windows and any third party, although xara does not have an unblemished record when it comes to update issues, it must be said...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    When I click 'Start Installation' I get the Windows UAC prompt, which I accept, then nothing. It's as if I hit the cancel button.

Next time I start XWDP, it's back again. Cancel, accept, same result. It takes around 30 seconds for it to appear.

If I'm the only one to experience this it's obviously something on my machine and I'll have a serious look when it begins to annoy me.
    No, you're not the only one ... it's happening exactly the same for me. It just doesn't seem to want to install.

By the way ... Thanks to everyone who commented. It's nice to know it's not just me screwing up again ...
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Are all those with this pestilence all owners of Magix software other than the Xara stable?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Info Re: Nag Screens

Perchance do you all have a UPS folder like C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\UPS\?

I chose to rename UPS to UPSXXX a time back with no ill-effects, particularly the above.

There is no guarantee this is the cure but apparently it is a purely appended Magix folder of 177MB of "Update Service".

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Not on my machine. It's had Hello Engines, Panorama Studio and XDP before, but all uninstalled well before the update appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Perchance do you all have a UPS folder like C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\UPS\?

I chose to rename UPS to UPSXXX a time back with no ill-effects, particularly the above.

There is no guarantee this is the cure but apparently it is a purely appended Magix folder of 177MB of "Update Service".

Acorn
    I just renamed the folder and that did the trick.

There's a lot of files in that folder, if you want to keep them accessible, renaming Service_rel_u_x64_vc12.exe to Service_rel_u_x64_vc12.bak also stops the update request.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Recently, I've started seeing notification that my update service has expired ... Nothing new in that right!

However in closing the program, everything goes back to a blank desktop screen with a UAC notice that asks "Do I want to allow UPDATE SERVICE to make changes to my computer?"

Is this normal now? Is anyone else seeing it?

Yrs I am also PM'd Rob-Xar about my particular issue but so far haven't heard anything. I'm thinking maybe I messed up somewhere.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I ONLY have the Xara Software (Photo and Graphic Designer).
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thumbs down Re: Nag Screens

So Chris has confirmed it is Magix adding code we didn't ask for or know what it is doing but regardless it isn't doing it the way it was expected.

I had hoped the other Magix interference around the delay with "Adding colours to document" for v16.3 might have packed its bags, but sadly no.

Might as well just have intellisense back again too to complete the hat-trick.

Really disappointed with the lack of care. I do hope there is a robust service level agreement over this between Magix and Xara.

I am not going to try this myself but I believe the downloads from:

bypass the Magix loader, so a re-install might get rid of the nagging as well.
    I am keeping my machine in its current state so I can look into things a tad more carefully.

Acorn

Acorn--same issue(s) with a Xara installer.

It's all really just crap.