Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 pages with duplicate meta desc.

So i am using NEILPATEL website to check some of my site. It gives me an error that I need to look at because it says
    it impacts SEO and that is 2 pages with duplicate meta and title tags description.

Here is the screen.

I checked my files, the home page of mine is named index

I am confused as to what this error is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	126207

Default Re: 2 pages with duplicate meta desc.

I am no expert and others on here probably can give you a better answer, but I think they are talking about website properties Ctrl+Shift+W Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webprop.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	126209 click on the page tab. There you will find page title, page description, and page keywords. I think this is what they are talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webprop.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	126208  

Yes thanks, I have done that and created all pages and title tags etc.. I am looking why there are two duplicates when I only see the index name on the home page.

This SEO checker seemingly cannot differentiate that both URLs are the same page.

Avoid SEO snake oil.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Oh Acorn, ok...Have you looked at his SEO checker? I thought it is quite good for free.

In Web Properties > Link, try using https://clearsoundhearing.ca in the Link To Web Or Email Address box instead of the Link To drop down. Not sure how to do this if you're using the Xara Navbar, but assume something similar.

The Link To drop down always adds /pagename.htm. The ,htm isn't needed and is classed as a detriment for screen readers. In the case of /index.htm neither .htm, nor index, is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    In Web Properties > Link, try using https://clearsoundhearing.ca in the Link To Web Or Email Address box instead of the Link To drop down. Not sure how to do this if you're using the Xara Navbar, but assume something similar.
    The Link To drop down always adds /pagename.htm. The ,htm isn't needed and is classed as a detriment for screen readers. In the case of /index.htm neither .htm, nor index, is needed.
    Not particularly useful as you are tying down a link to an Internet URL.

The only (insane) approach is to force a redirect in your .htaccess file.

I am not a fan of SEO contortions.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

On a side note and by the way thank you all for helping.
    Out of all the SEO analyzers out there, which free one is the best and trust worthy?

Should I just stick to what google offers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Not particularly useful as you are tying down a link to an Internet URL.

The only (insane) approach is to force a redirect in your .htaccess file.

I am not a fan of SEO contortions.

Acorn

First line - as opposed to an internal link do you mean? Why is that different? I ask because I don't know.
    Second line - what would redirect to the htaccess?
    Third line - I agree. Try 3 or 4 different 'solutions' and you'll get 3 or 4 different sets of results.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    On a side note and by the way thank you all for helping.
    Out of all the SEO analyzers out there, which free one is the best and trust worthy?

Should I just stick to what google offers ?

Try SilkTide's Nibbler. You can test 5 different sites for free. I'm not vouching for them as I'm in Acorn's camp; but the results are set out nicely and relatively easy to follow their recommendations.
    https://nibbler.silktide.com/