Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Short Brothers SC.1

The Short SC.1 was the first British fixed-wing VTOL jet . It was developed by Short Brothers. Powered by an arrangement of five Rolls-Royce turbojets, four for vertical flight and one for horizontal flight. The SC.1 was the first British fixed-wing VTOL aircraft to transition to horizontal flight and used fly by wire technology.
    Two prototypes were built and used for flight testing between 1957 and 1971. Research from this program led to the Harrier jump jet.
    This plane was a suggestion by Paul, who thought it was an interesting design. Thanks Paul, it was an neat looking little aircraft. My only complaint for the design was it should have had retractable landing gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC-1F.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	126268  

Default Re: Short Brothers SC.1

Awesome as usual Gray. So good in fact it makes me wonder about the plane photographing it must be (rolling,banking?) in the opposite direction because of the angle of the horizon. I've been trying to visualize it but I could be wrong there. Whatever I like it a lot.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Amazing as always.

Very cool Gray thanks for another great one.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    This plane was a suggestion by Paul, who thought it was an interesting design. Thanks Paul, it was an neat looking little aircraft. My only complaint for the design was it should have had retractable landing gear.
    Super job Gray, thanks for doing it.

I suspect that given that it was a research aircraft for VTOL and nothing else, the pilots felt it would be wise to have the landing gear deployed at all times! I know that the early Harriers had a nickname of the "widowmaker" so I think always having the undercarriage ready might have made them a bit happier. Who knows.

I love the look of the plane, very 1950's and you could put it straight into a Dan Dare story.

Great work and fascinating to learn about it and to know that the research contributed to the jump jet design.

In your rendition, it looks like some nasty and dangerous insect.
    TJB

Cool drawing Gray!

Thats a funky plane, it's short and Short's.
    The pilot must have great visibility.
    I wonder what are the black strips on the top.

Marc

Thanks Larry, Jeff, Joe, Paul, TJB, Marc for having a look and leaving a comment.
    Larry I think if you were in another plane you would be on the starboard side rolling at the same angle. Good thing I don't have to figure that out.
    Paul, you're probably right on the fixed gear.
    Marc, the 4 vertical Rolls Royce engines used for lift sit under those vents. They pull their air through them.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Larry I think if you were in another plane you would be on the starboard side rolling at the same angle. Good thing I don't have to figure that out.
    Would it? I'll just take your word for it been trying to figure that out finally I came to the conclusion you are correct, so sorry that I questioned that.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Strange where the internet takes you! I looked at your drawing gray and it reminded me of a bumble-bee (almost impossible to fly) which led me to this LINK

Great drawing as ever!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host