Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Ten Year Challenge - Dotted Lines

Noticed we can have Lines with Dash patterns but none with Dots?

Ten years ago, it was suggested to use the Natural media (scatter) > Felt tip and Edit Brush to change the Spacing!
    Sure that works, or create a circle and New Brush from that.

Another for XDPX users was to Blend two Circles along a Path.

I tried a Text Line along a Curve with Font Awesome shapes.

None of the Smart Lines cut it.

What do you use?

Should we ask Xara for this basic pattern?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Ten Year Challenge - Dotted Lines

Blend circles on a path has been possible since day one. Or before. Unless I am missing something here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blend Circles on a Path.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	126197  

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Noticed we can have Lines with Dash patterns but none with Dots?
    What do you use?
    Should we ask Xara for this basic pattern?
    I'm not a "creative person."

I do use dotted lines, but my most often use for them is the border around coupons. See? Not a very creative person...
    Would I use them in an Xara application (in my case, XP&GD) if they were available? Yes, most likely. But they aren't and so I don't use a work-around for them (because the work-arounds suck for my application).

If Xara added them, I would only use them if their solution for my use worked properly. As it is, if it is more expedient to just make such a coupon directly in the layout application, that's what I do. If the content of the coupon is more expedient to make in XP&GD, I just place the coupon's content into a formatted box in the layout application that is formatted with the desired fill and dotted outline.

Mike

Info Re: Ten Year Challenge - Dotted Lines

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Blend circles on a path has been possible since day one. Or before. Unless I am missing something here.
    Sorry Gary, you are. I want a Dotted Line pattern. All Xara provides is a Dash pattern.

There is no Blend Tool in XWD(P).

A Xara user could go to all the trouble to create something like this:
    Xara - Scatter Dot and Gapped Lines.xar
    Feel free to use in XDPX or XWD(P).

Why should I have to build something so basic?

My next ask might be radical as well. Alternating Dots and Dashes.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Another for XDPX users was to Blend two Circles along a Path.

In typography there is a thing called a leader. Most DTP programs have it. But this is simply a filler of dots used for example on a table of contents between the chapter title and the page number.

You can create a full stop (a period) and make a Scatter Brush with it. The spacing can be edited with the Edit Brush control and the size modified by increasing or decreasing the line width.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Table_of_contents_with_green_leaders.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	126199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dot brush.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	126200  

Again, Xara has done this for dashes, I am asking why it is so hard for Xara to do the same for dots. "Most DTP programs have it": Xara Desktop is a DPT application.

Acorn

Maybe I'm not understanding the question. But to create a dotted line on a font is very straight forward.
    ( If I have misunderstood the question my bad. )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DotTest.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	126201

DotTest.xar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdoute View Post
    Maybe I'm not understanding the question. But to create a dotted line on a font is very straight forward.
    ( If I have misunderstood the question my bad. )

Name:	DotTest.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	126201

DotTest.xar
    Thanks Jeff, the font part is incidental.

You had to create a brush (dots) to achieve this.
    Unfortunately, you didn't factor in any colour change for dots itself.
    You had the font text and line converted to shapes before you could colour the dots.

With the supplied Dash patterns you can add a dashed line to a font and change the line colour through the Colour Editor.
    I am simply wanting Xara to deliver Dot patterns that I can use at a click and not have to create from cold and save off for further use.

The trick is to colour the brush component with a Named Colour before creation.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Thanks Jeff, the font part is incidental.

You had to create a brush (dots) to achieve this.
    Unfortunately, you didn't factor in any colour change for dots itself.
    You had the font text and line converted to shapes before you could colour the dots.

With the supplied Dash patterns you can add a dashed line to a font and change the line colour through the Colour Editor.
    I am simply wanting Xara to deliver Dot patterns that I can use at a click and not have to create from cold and save off for further use.

The trick is to colour the brush component with a Named Colour before creation.

Acorn
    I knew I had the question wrong. LOL
    Anyway I like to reply/try these questions if for no other reason but to learn new ways of doing thing.

Here is the text line not converted to shape. I'm not worring about changing Named Colors right now LOL.

Name:	DotTest2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	126204

DotTest2.xar

Last edited by Jeffdoute; 25 January 2020 at 10:45 PM.