Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Planet Waffle

Default Planet Waffle

Not that I consider this worthy of hanging in a gallery of any kind, but just to try and reignite some of the interest/passion about Xara that used to exist here on TG before the Magix involvement. Xara has been my weapon of choice for forever. As long as I have the Xara .exe file on several hard drives, it will continue to be so.

Xara may well be on its last legs as far as I can see, but the basic drawing program is still a joy to use. I do not profess to have much in the way of talent, but generally speaking, if I can imagine something in my head, I can generally recreate it using Xara, no matter which iteration of the program I choose.

I am aware that CorelDraw, Illustrator and Affinity are out there and I use each of them from time to time, but good old Xara is always my starting point.

I generally start with a simple shape on the page and take it from there. Just using a simple circle and some other simple idea, I can embellish my idea using whatever takes my fancy at the time, in this instance, the Mould Tool. 20 minutes or so later, the idea is fleshed out and ready to put aside in a folder for future use.

The great thing is that it is fun to use, never mind the external noise about pricing structures or what might be new in the latest release. I haven't felt the need to upgrade for a very long time now, there doesn't seem to be any desire on MagiXara's part to refresh the vector tools, so I don't feel obliged to part with any cash until that changes, if it ever does... Anyway, I give you Planet Waffle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waffle.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	126169  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 22 January 2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: add graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Smile Re: Planet Waffle

Had to have a go.

Nothing like, but at least my use of Xara features helped me get there in 15 minutes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Globe.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	126170

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Planet Waffle

Xara is so perfect for stuff like this (and just about everything else)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	checkered future.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	126172  

excellent Bob - carry on waffing - it's good for you

for some reason I get the urge to animate it, but as xara does not have a timeline, or easing, or morph/deformation tools, I'd be using something else to make it 'bounce' - ah what might have been....

[edit - to avoid confusion, gonna have to qualify that and say animation morph/deformation tools -
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Very cool looking waffle thingies.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    excellent Bob - carry on waffing - it's good for you

for some reason I get the urge to animate it, but as xara does not have a timeline, or easing, or morph/deformation tools, I'd be using something else to make it 'bounce' - ah what might have been....

[edit - to avoid confusion, gonna have to qualify that and say animation morph/deformation tools -
    A rough and ready mash-up: http://acorn.xara.hosting/Globe/.

I agree, Xara needs to get more into animation.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

That's fantastic, Bob.
    And I totally agree with all your comments.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

[QUOTE=iamtheblues;619428

I am aware that CorelDraw, Illustrator and Affinity are out there and I use each of them from time to time, but good old Xara is always my starting point. Not to mention that Xara loads so fast while the others take a long time to load in my opinion.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    A rough and ready mash-up: http://acorn.xara.hosting/Globe/.

I agree, Xara needs to get more into animation.

Acorn
    I did not realize that I had to put the cursor on the globe then the animation started. Pretty cool.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Xara is so perfect for stuff like this (and just about everything else)
    The swirl effect gave me an idea for a cover picture but I can't replicate it neatly, how did you do it?

Be warned this may lead into another question about the effects tools I've started to fiddle with.