Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Things to think about when designing web sites or any presentation/infographic

I think this short video has some excellent tips. Over the years I've seen these issues demonstrated regularly on TG in website design and every now and again I take someone up on it and lift my head up again as the bad boy of TG. Here's proof there's at least two of us that don't like huge slabs of text, etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOA0WH00reA

Enjoy and see a great example of how to communicate effectively.

The next person to have a website with huge slabs of text and lots of garish colours and fonts will have no excuse.. ;-)

Paul

Default Re: Things to think about when designing web sites or any presentation/infographic

Without bothering to watch the video I suspect I totally agree. A good website should be simple, easy to navigate, and give you just enough information. If the visitor needs more information, then they can contact you which is the whole idea.

Default Re: Things to think about when designing web sites or any presentation/infographic

This has been my bible for all forms of documentation for many years: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Designe.../dp/0133966151.
    Its worth is the price of second-hand copies - still high. There is nothing wrong with the cheaper ealier editions either.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    This has been my bible for all forms of documentation for many years: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Designe.../dp/0133966151.
    Its worth is the price of second-hand copies - still high. There is nothing wrong with the cheaper ealier editions either.

Acorn
    I totally agree Acorn. I’ve got an older copy, which I’m going to dig out and have a browse after writing this reply!

Another book I think has similar biblical status is: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...api_taft_p1_i0. Older cheaper versions are also still very relevant.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

LOL, I put up a great video link, one person doesn't want to watch it and two others want to get people to look elsewhere!

I'm not grumpy about it but it kind of makes me a bit sad and amuses me at the same time.

While I posted this in the web relative part of the forum, my video link outlines good design principles that go far beyond web pages and the video itself I think is an excellent example of how to communicate effectively (if people will actually follow a link, LOL).

The two book links presented in the thread are great, and I have both, but the Gurus of presentation (which is all a website really is) are Garr Reynolds and Nancy Duarte.

Anyway, read the books or follow a video, anything is better than not making any effort to understand what helps communication.

Well, I watched the video and it's a great recap of the most common errors you can make in (web) design.

Talking Re: Things to think about when designing web sites or any presentation/infographic

It's not a case of LOL, rather it is the opportunity for you and us to mention what has been inspiring.
    The video had good points, I did watch it. I also read the comments and was more inclined to agree that its presentation missed its own emphases. Anti-patterns came to mind as to what not to do and this is where it fell down for me.

Some people are totally visual, some read, some listen, while some build and break.
    It is therefore likely that replies will be from one group as others might not have seen the point whatsoever.
    Thinking about it, Gary is old school: designer, draughtsman and and typographer. He has learnt things that are instinctive and borne out of learning not what to do and what works.
    I have a squirrel mind and can remember similar things and see patterns in concepts so quite likely I jump ahead and offer up a counter-example.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I'm not grumpy about it but it kind of makes me a bit sad and amuses me at the same time......
    I sometimes feel this way when i try to help on the forum and get no reply/feedback whatsoever

I learn't most of what i know about design by osmosis, and by analysing why I like, and don't like, things I see and hear
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I sometimes feel this way when i try to help on the forum and get no reply/feedback whatsoever
    You are appreciated. It's the yoof, I blame their parents - oops, that's probably us.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    You are appreciated. It's the yoof, I blame their parents - oops, that's probably us.

Acorn

Or in my case, grandparents!
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.