Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Linking onto the web

Help again!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linking problem.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	126137
    The top three links in the table work the rest do not. All were entered in the same way.
    If I click on the entry charlie hall ... a small window pops up with the option to change or remove the link but if I click on the the link there the web site pops up. But NOT from the table's blue text. This is the same for the other supposed links.
    I must be doing something wrong methinks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	links problem 2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	126138

Default Re: Linking onto the web

Richard, without your design file or a published page, it is difficult, but guess to your problem and remedy is as follows.

The actual link for the second image is https://charliehall.proboards.com/ not http://charliehall.proboards.com/.
    I would untick Connect automatically and remove the protocol from the link, leaving charliehall.proboards.com/.

Do this for all the links.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Your eye for detail is wonderful.
    I corrected the link (ie adding the s) but it stil didn't work. I also tried adding www. in front but still no go.
    Ticking Connect automatically or not makes no difference.
    I would like to upload the design file or the published page but can not see how to do this for you.
    I'm puzzled also that the first links worked alright but the rest of them not.

I also noticed that the links that work are shown (appear) in the small rectangle that appears in the bottom left corner of the window but nothing appears if the link does not work.
    Last edited by RichardRudd; 19 January 2020 at 02:33 AM.

I also wondered why there is a difference between the first 3 rows and the others. When the table is imported it is the caption and the first 3 rows. The others are added using the handles. Is this why the y behave differently when linking to a site?

Richard, we were not aware how you loaded in your table.

To upload the design file, you need to Reply and click the Go Advanced button.
    There is an Attachment icon and a dialog to upload and then add to your reply.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I hope I have done this alright.

To insert the table I went Insert -table - table and dragged table 9 (I think) onto the page. Initially it went onto the guide layer but as you pointed out it should not have been there and I moved to another existing layer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Linking "onto the web,

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRudd View Post
    I hope I have done this alright.
    To insert the table I went Insert -table - table and dragged table 9 (I think) onto the page. Initially it went onto the guide layer but as you pointed out it should not have been there and I moved to another existing layer.
    Richard, I believe you have found a very frustrating Xara Bug: it seems Links after the third row are lost as the Cell is transformed into an image, removing the link!

I have reworked your Link page to something that works.
    I have created a Soft-Group Text Area and White Box as a Cell.
    I paired two and soft-grouped them.
    I finally applied Push of 0px to them so new Rows can never overlap.

If you want to change width or height you need to select a Row and with the Alt key drag a middle control.
    If you are "joining" Cells, you delete the adjacent one(s) and Alt-drag to occupy the space.

Rows can be swapped. A bit fiddly but pull out the Row to one side, reposition the others to create the place where it is going to gap into and re-insert and click the bottom Row and Up arrow into a reformed table.
    Sorry but Columns are much the harder. It can be done though.

Xara - Table 09 Link Bug after Third Row.xar

For your Links, I have changed the top half to open in a new Tab (Web Properties > Link > Open link). Have a go with the others or reset to Not specified.

Acorn

P.S. I will raise a Dear Xara on this!

As a new user of Xara I was worried that I had done something wrong or not understood the required method.
    I can only thank you for your patience and help.
    Nice to see it is a bug!
    I have just logged on late in the evening and will try everything out tomorrow.
    But a big Thanks for now

I wondered about another way of doing it - until Xara have debugged the table:
    Import Table 9 twice
    remove the top caption row of the second one
    butt the two together. Repeat as necessary.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRudd View Post
    I wondered about another way of doing it - until Xara have debugged the table:
    Import Table 9 twice
    remove the top caption row of the second one
    butt the two together. Repeat as necessary.

What do you think?
    Yes, I had thought of that too. It would work but, boy, imagine, no one in Xara checked.
    You might as well use a blank table and overlay separate links; less to fix later on.

Acorn