Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

Hi Guys,

I have been using Xara Web Designer Premium 365 for more than 2+ years and my subscription is coming to an end. Is it worth renewing my subscription?

1. There have been no new templates for the past 2 years - https://www.xara.com/eu/web-designer/templates/
    2. The updates are not regular
    3. They are not a lot in terms of new features

I recently tried https://mobirise.com/ and I noticed I am getting loads of new templates, new features etc. Yes, I pay a lot more than Xara Web Designer Premium and I get updates but not getting it from Web Designer Premium

Thank you

Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

Welcome to TalkGraphics Mr Builder.

I can't advise you whether it's worth you upgrading as I don't know how you use the software. For example are you using it purely for creating drawings (vector graphics) or are you using it for publications (DTP) or web design or animation etc?

I, like many TG members, started using Xara software for the single purpose of creating vector graphics. Many have continued using the software just for this reason. Unfortunately Xara has abondoned their vector graphics origins, making it a back-water with no meaningful advances, in favour of web design and rastor/bitmap manipulation.

Added to this is the much despised subscription model.

Xara no longer has the speed advantage that it had years ago over other vector graphics programs (Illustrator / Coral Draw). I still believe Xara's user interface is superior. Affinity Designer is, considering it's price, far better value.

I believe many Talk Graphics members are like myself, we are comfortable (but disillusioned) with the current state of the software. It's something I know & use for several hours per day, but that's more due now to the long familiarity with the software than it being anyway cutting edge or even mediocre software.

But as I said at the start it's dependent on how you want to use/expect of the software. Remember you can always download the latest version and trial it for free for a month.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Look at the identical Thread for the Xara "Mommy" application.

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...annual-licence

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Mobirise looks cool, easy to add blocks. It's similar to XBuilder. It is a pity that XARA can't do it that way, including videos.

P&G 10, 11, 15; XWD Premium 11,15; XDPX 15.1; XDPX 18.5; XDPX 19; XBuilder;

After a 10-year lapse, I am trying to come back to using my Web Designer 10 Premium and I'm having problems with it. I'm trying to revise an old website that I constructed and things are not working as I remember them. Is it not possible to use my software because of its age? I really can't justify upgrading for only one fairly simple website. Do I understand that you are required to operate it on the web now? I spent big bucks (at least big to me) to upgrade each time a new version came out. Can anyone explain if my 10 should still work as it did once, or am I out of luck???

Quote Originally Posted by oldtbone View Post
    After a 10-year lapse, I am trying to come back to using my Web Designer 10 Premium and I'm having problems with it. I'm trying to revise an old website that I constructed and things are not working as I remember them. Is it not possible to use my software because of its age? I really can't justify upgrading for only one fairly simple website. Do I understand that you are required to operate it on the web now? I spent big bucks (at least big to me) to upgrade each time a new version came out. Can anyone explain if my 10 should still work as it did once, or am I out of luck???
    Version 10 still works for me, even on Windows 10.

Try running it once as Administrator to shoogle up the link libraries.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by oldtbone View Post
    I'm trying to revise an old website that I constructed and things are not working as I remember them.
    Welcome back.

If you could be more specific then perhaps we can help you. What specifically isn't working?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    shoogle up the link libraries.

Acorn
    I had to Google shoogle. I now know shoogle made me shoogle until I Googled.

I was trying to copy a lengthy amount of text, but with the Text tool, it wouldn't let me highlight the text, for one thing. I was trying to copy and paste to another application. I was able to "preview it" by sending the page to a browser, then I was able to highlight and copy from there. I have contracted Macular Degeneration in the past two years, and perhaps it's my vision that's the problem. But, I do recall being able to highlight large amounts of text before with the text tool.

If you want to select all the text in a text box:
    Select the text tool, click anywhere in the text box, press CTRL+A to select all, CTRL+C to copy

If you want to sect a block of text:
    Select the text tool, click at the beginning of the block you want, hold SHIFT and click at the end of the block you want, CTRL+C to copy