Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Michigan at the moment
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    remind me, what's a goldfish
    unless it's called wanda....
    A goldfish has a memory of about 5 seconds

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    10,999

    Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsyjoe View Post
    A goldfish has a memory of about 5 seconds
    Or not, https://thegoldfishtank.com/goldfish...d-memory-myth/.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Melfort, Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

    In defence of WD I don’t mind the renewal fees. Much better than an Adobe subscription. For a designer who does not want to use templates and one who develops headers, icons, buttons, and other related graphics Xara is my solution. There are 3 people within our non profit org that all use Xara and we can all work on the same website with numerous everyday changes. 79 thumbnails? No problem with Xara. I’m into photography and I find that the photo options with Xara are a limited, but Xara does what I want to do. I even picked up WD and Graphic Designer with even more options. For my creative purposes this is the package. I may have to move to Mac platform someday but I haven’t found a program that matches Xara.
    Bill Wood
    Expresiv Designs.
    Charity Web Design
    Xara Designer 5, Xd10, WD 365, WD Premium 12

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    10,999

    Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

    I think we agree that the Xara Desktop applications are very special.

    The Update Service (subscription to access on-line content and some fundamental components) is a Magix imposition that fails to address simple concepts like separate deliveries to correct bugs and to ensure 'future' features removal does not impact prior designs.

    The absolute absence of any Xara presence this year and 100 days since an update, especially with the perennial bug list growing, leaves much to be desired.
    Yes, this might fit into a 3 or 4 update cycle per year but the effort put into rectification, regression and new features in recent iterations has been embarrassingly weak.

    @Xara - the above evidence is indicating all effort is being focused on Xara Cloud and the Desktop applications are not even getting the crumbs from the table. Rotated Objects comes to mind - simple in concept but very complicated in practice; sufficient for it, like most recent innovations, to break workflow cadence, and enough for it to be parked. You may have a vision. It may start off a bit blurry like Gary's stereograms but at least Gary publishes them so we can all have a squint.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Morelos, Mexico
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    @Xara - the above evidence is indicating all effort is being focused on Xara Cloud and the Desktop applications are not even getting the crumbs from the table. Rotated Objects comes to mind - simple in concept but very complicated in practice; sufficient for it, like most recent innovations, to break workflow cadence, and enough for it to be parked. You may have a vision. It may start off a bit blurry like Gary's stereograms but at least Gary publishes them so we can all have a squint.
    If you visit the Xara Cloud section of TalkGraphics, you'll see that it receives only one or two threads per month. Compared to the other forums, that's basically nothing. In other words, Xara Cloud appears not to be so popular (though I could be wrong). So one wonders if the effort they're putting into the Cloud branch is really worth sacrificing the effort they used to, but are no longer, putting into the Designer and Web Designer branches.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    10,999

    Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

    Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    If you visit the Xara Cloud section of TalkGraphics, you'll see that it receives only one or two threads per month. Compared to the other forums, that's basically nothing. In other words, Xara Cloud appears not to be so popular (though I could be wrong). So one wonders if the effort they're putting into the Cloud branch is really worth sacrificing the effort they used to, but are no longer, putting into the Designer and Web Designer branches.
    And if you read into the Threads, I seem to claim poll position in asking questions there as well.

    @Xara - the one constant is I am always there for you.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Morelos, Mexico
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    And if you read into the Threads, I seem to claim poll position in asking questions there as well.

    @Xara - the one constant is I am always there for you.

    Acorn
    And we are very grateful

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ...Granada province, Andalucia, Spain
    Posts
    5,217

    Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

    Yes Acorn, we are very grateful. I would be up there at your side, telling it like it is, but I have had a couple of the 3 strikes and you're out, so I have to watch my smart mouth or else. My problem is that I see what magixara are doing as an injustice and to some extent an insult to their customers. The attitude I glean from their 'Business Model' is that 'if you don't like it, you can do the other thing', which is all well and good, but even the most loyal of customers will eventually find this attitude a bit old.
    Paying out hard-earned dosh for not very much in return is not what a customer wants and he/she will eventually move on. I have not moved to any newer release for many years, and in fact I am more inclined to use xtreme5 these days because the interface reminds me of happier times.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,469

    Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I think we agree that the Xara Desktop applications are very special.
    Yes!

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The absolute absence of any Xara presence this year and 100 days since an update, especially with the perennial bug list growing, leaves much to be desired.
    Yes, this might fit into a 3 or 4 update cycle per year but the effort put into rectification, regression and new features in recent iterations has been embarrassingly weak.
    Certainly at the outrageous price they charge for yearly renewal!

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    @Xara - the above evidence is indicating all effort is being focused on Xara Cloud and the Desktop applications are not even getting the crumbs from the table.
    Well, enough crumbs to make folks believe it's a going concern. What I naively hope is that they'll make a one-time splash with a stellar update to convince those (like me) who have given up hope to return to the paying fold, if only temporarily. A little daydreaming feels nicer than having to accept cold reality -- especially in these harsh times...
    So, thank you, Acorn, for all your efforts to have Xara take the desktop apps seriously again!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    17,351

    Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 365 - Is it worth renewing??

    @acorn - you too are much appreciated

    @iamtheblues - what we had was a community; most of that has gone - you can blame the advances/changes in technology, you can blame the companies attitude, you could even blame the ex-pat australian who broke away... but the community was what made TG... we have all just moved on...

    The companies attitude was always commercial, they fund the forum, and we act as unpaid helpers that learn as we help; it is that that rankles me at times because in a way I sometimes feel taken for granted, but we that are still here choose still to do it; there is really very little useful for me to learn these days with the xara I use...

    The Craic, that was, is over for me at least; I don't feel insulted, or the victim of injustice, I know how things work...: if you fall for the BS you end up the creek sans paddle
    -------------------------------
    carpe diem
    carpo vitae

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •