Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transparent PNG Goes Black On Copy & Paste

I did search first ...

In my old Xara, you could copy and paste a transparent png straight off something and it would paste in fine. Current/new Xara Pro X 16.3.0.57723 DL x64 Oct 25 2019 gives me a black background. The steps of having to download/save the png first and then re-opening it are irritating. Is there a fix for this?

Default Re: Transparent PNG Goes Black On Copy & Paste

Might need more details here Ray. I just created a PNG with a transparent background and exported it to my desktop. I dragged and dropped it onto a blank page and the transparency was intact.

Then I imported it into Word, copied the bitmap, and pasted it into Xara, again with the transparency intact.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	126118

1. PNG transparent on the web
    2. Copy image and paste into Xara = PNG with black background
    3. Save image into folder, import into Xaxa = PNG transparent

On my old computer with an ancient Xara version, you can just copy and paste a PNG and it will arrive with a transparent background. I would like this feature to be enabled if there is a way because it is annoying to have to download and import every time.

I think the problem is with Xara's copy and paste. I can copy a PNG with Alpha but it is not available to paste. Or if it is available to paste, it fails to paste from the clipboard.

But I can drag and drop the image from the desktop or any folder and it imports with transparency.

I dragged this image from a web search and dropped it onto the desktop. I was able to drag and drop the image in to Designer Pro X 16 with no issues.

I dragged the image into Mozilla Thunderbird, the copied the image and was unable to post it into DPX 16.

I will move this thread to Dear Xara in hopes that one of the developers will see it and say, Hmm?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paste fail.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	126119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	126120  

Just having fun with my screen captures

Name:	10.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	126121  

there is a registry key in options/clipboard called PasteAlpha which is set by default to 0 [ie the option is off]

changing it to 1 [ie option is on] may help, but no guarantee

the way the paste works changed quite a while back to remove the automatic pasting of alpha under certain circumstances, and I'm guessing this may be a manifestation of that, but it could be something else such as the way in which website is constructed - have you tried pasting it into another app ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ah, Steve, I knew I had seen a setting somewhere. (Smack upside the head!)

There is an old utility XaReg created eons ago that can change registry settings for Xara without the need to edit the registry settings (if you can even find them). I have attached a ZIPped copy because it is not easy to find any more.

There is a General Option to Paste Bitmaps with Alpha.

To use XaReg, make sure your copy of Xara is closed, then unzip XaReg, double click to launch and if nothing else, check the box to paste with alpha.

Then close XaReg. Click Run Selected Program. Ignore the message that Xara is already running.

Now you can paste transparent PNG bitmaps.

Name:	Paste with Alpha.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	126125  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tried to download XaReg25.zip don't know why but only get a blank black page, no download. Anyhow thanks for sharing Gary as this looks like it might be useful.

Info Re: Transparent PNG Goes Black On Copy & Paste

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    there is a registry key in options/clipboard called PasteAlpha which is set by default to 0 [ie the option is off]
    changing it to 1 [ie option is on] may help, but no guarantee
    the way the paste works changed quite a while back to remove the automatic pasting of alpha under certain circumstances, and I'm guessing this may be a manifestation of that, but it could be something else such as the way in which website is constructed - have you tried pasting it into another app ?
    Just to confirm, the setting is in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\16\Options\Clipboard or similar for your application. There is no Quick Key for toggling it through the application but as pointed out XaReg25 has it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	126126

I tried a "drag" with a transparent png from the Interweb and got internal progra error 1064.k.ht.tr

After that, the dialogue about do you want to paste this as html or as an image appeared.

I was encouraged! Chose the picture!

Name:	Capture2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	126127

DOH!!!!

I've read some of the other comments which looked frightening.

Will download the pngs and re-open them.

Thank you Gary for your quick and helpful responses, and I liked the error message image!