Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Transparent PNG Goes Black On Copy & Paste

I did search first ...

In my old Xara, you could copy and paste a transparent png straight off something and it would paste in fine. Current/new Xara Pro X 16.3.0.57723 DL x64 Oct 25 2019 gives me a black background. The steps of having to download/save the png first and then re-opening it are irritating. Is there a fix for this?

Default Re: Transparent PNG Goes Black On Copy & Paste

Might need more details here Ray. I just created a PNG with a transparent background and exported it to my desktop. I dragged and dropped it onto a blank page and the transparency was intact.

Then I imported it into Word, copied the bitmap, and pasted it into Xara, again with the transparency intact.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	126118

1. PNG transparent on the web
    2. Copy image and paste into Xara = PNG with black background
    3. Save image into folder, import into Xaxa = PNG transparent

On my old computer with an ancient Xara version, you can just copy and paste a PNG and it will arrive with a transparent background. I would like this feature to be enabled if there is a way because it is annoying to have to download and import every time.

I think the problem is with Xara's copy and paste. I can copy a PNG with Alpha but it is not available to paste. Or if it is available to paste, it fails to paste from the clipboard.

But I can drag and drop the image from the desktop or any folder and it imports with transparency.

I dragged this image from a web search and dropped it onto the desktop. I was able to drag and drop the image in to Designer Pro X 16 with no issues.

I dragged the image into Mozilla Thunderbird, the copied the image and was unable to post it into DPX 16.

I will move this thread to Dear Xara in hopes that one of the developers will see it and say, Hmm?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paste fail.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	126119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	126120  

Just having fun with my screen captures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	126121  

there is a registry key in options/clipboard called PasteAlpha which is set by default to 0 [ie the option is off]

changing it to 1 [ie option is on] may help, but no guarantee

the way the paste works changed quite a while back to remove the automatic pasting of alpha under certain circumstances, and I'm guessing this may be a manifestation of that, but it could be something else such as the way in which website is constructed - have you tried pasting it into another app ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...