Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Matching pictures colours hues of a photos on a wb page

Hi long time no posting - been out of the loop.. but I hope TG can help.

I have an image on a web page that has an overlay, together when using a colour picker it forms the majority colour 212C40. I have another photo that I want to use on the same page and want it to have have the same colour. Using a colour picker most of it is green 3F7C99 how can you work out what hex overlay I need to add to the 3F7C99 to make 212C40 without guessing. Adding the original overlay creates a blue and not grey.

Or is there another way in xara I have not found?

TIA

Scruffy.thedog
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Default Re: Matching pictures colours hues of a photos on a wb page

Having a tough time wrapping what is left of my mind around this.

Are you looking for a neutral color that will work with both photos?

If this is what you are trying to do then maybe this will help.

Place both photos over a large 50% black rectangle.

Select the rectangle. Open the color editor, switch to HSV mode and move the Hue slider around until you arrive at something that compliments the two photos. Then you can make that color lighter or darker, more or less saturated as you wish.

If this was not your question, please skip ahead to the next question.

QUOTE=gwpriester;619170]Having a tough time wrapping what is left of my mind around this.
    Thx for the help gary reply below

Are you looking for a neutral color that will work with both photos? NO SORRY BOTH NEED TO END UP AS 212C40. APART FROM RANDOMLY TRYING TO GET TO THE FINAL ANSWER WITH THE PHOTO IN XARA AND USING THE PHOTO ADJUSTMENTS I WAS LOOKING FOR A SHORT CUT PERHAPS IN XARA OR ONLINE A WEBPAGE / TOOL SOMEONE HAD COME ACROSS WHEREBY IF YOU PUT IN THE 3RD COLOUR AND PUT IN THE FIRST THE SECOND IS WORKED OUT FOR YOU SO I COULD THEN PUT AN OVERLAY AND PLAY WITH TRANSPARENCY TO GET TO THE 3RD COLOUR - DOES THAT MAKE SENSE???

If this is what you are trying to do then maybe this will help.

Place both photos over a large 50% black rectangle.

Select the rectangle. Open the color editor, switch to HSV mode and move the Hue slider around until you arrive at something that compliments the two photos. Then you can make that color lighter or darker, more or less saturated as you wish.

If this was not your question, please skip ahead to the next question.[/QUOTE]
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

what sort of overlay - an overlay in xara ? - an overlay in HTML ?....

if in xara, what type is it

btw hex 3f7c99 is not a green hue, it's blue - like Gary I'm a bit confused here

it would also be useful to know what hex the original picture is without the overlay, and what hex the 'blue' is that you get with the overlay over the new picture
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

It's not like it's a green/blue like aqua, it's very blue ...

FYI.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020.01.17_09h39m19s_001.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	126134

I don't remember seeing ANY program that will tell you what colour overlay you need to use on a 3F7C99 picture so that the final version has a tone matching 212C40.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020.01.17_09h45m39s_002.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	126135

Even though you don't want to guess, I think that's what you are going to end up doing.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 17 January 2020 at 02:56 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

is the overlay actually necessary - you might be able to colourise a copy directly, but a task more suited to photoshop I think...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...