Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Help with probably my last rodeo

is this work just for you, or are you going to publish it on youtube [say] - if you publish, remember that what others see will be modified by their kit.....

that said i agree with what Chris has just said in the main

there is sometimes a compromise to made with monitors between colour gamut plus viewing angle and speed of response, I use an ASUS PB278QR 27 Inch Professional Monitor, WQHD (2560 x 1440), IPS, 100% sRGB, Flicker Free, Low Blue Light and a Wacom Cintiq Pro 24-4K Display/23.6 Inch Pen Display

the wacom is better but way above your budget, and possibly your needs if you don't want to draw on screen

the asus is listed around 700/800 GBP but you can pick it up from amazon UK at the moment for just over 220 GBP : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 maybe there will be offers where you live

I find both these monitors fine for what i do, which is, in the main, 2D animation with Harmony, I don't do 3D POVray type rendering

An asus GTX 1070 nvidia card will set you back 400/500 GBP if not on offer https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but again may be cheaper where you live, and there are always other options to think about

good kit is not cheap unless you get 'a deal' from a reputable source

is it just the 3D that is disapointing or is the 2D as well? - if the former maybe the rendering engine needs looking at, they are not all the same

reiterate: be very careful about spending money - if you haven't already, might be an idea to seek advice on a 3D forum such as blender...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Looking at Paul's perspective: do you mean you'd like ALL images to be cleaner and pop more, or like Paul says, your own work? If the latter, then totally disregard everything I have written.

just seen Paul's post - yes...

another monitor may make the work look better [to you], but just upping the kit willy-nilly is hit and miss - higher end graphics cards will speed the rendering; and maybe improve it in a technical way, but only if the rendering engine can take advantage of it

the art is all down to you...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Handrawn, you make a good point about how others will see it. My work is mainly text, music editing and swearing with the occasional simple graphic work. I throw my money at more screens to increase real estate and multiple Windows.

Non of my screens are IPS, nor 4K. As nice as they would be, I don't need the quality, therefore, I wouldn't see the same image(s) as you would. I would see cake, you would see gateau. Also, I'm just a peasant when it comes to arty things.

As for my 3d graphics:

"is this work just for you, or are you going to publish it on youtube [say] "

I have no business using 3d graphics.
    If you could see what I do you might say I have no business using 3d graphics

My use of this medium is all whimsy. It's a capricious exercise, excessively so.
    I do not look upon a mesh as the beginning of a work of art. I'm not looking to
    create a stunning figure, face or abstract object that will be appreciated by others.
    I have no artistic abilities whatsoever. And I would get no enjoyment pretending
    as if i had. What I do get enjoyment from is being a principled mesh sadist.
    It gives me great pleasure torturing my mesh. By using modifiers I see how I
    can bend, twist, swirl, swell, skew, bulge and taper this poor defenseless mesh.
    Then after catching a second wind I can use the points, edges and faces to
    play with. And of course the uv with textures follows. I find this an inspiring playfest.
    But it's just play. It's just entertainment. It's just fun. And it's personal only.
    "It's highly unlikely a beefier machine will make you a better 3D artist."
    I have a better chance of building a cyclotron than being recognized as an artist.
    The question asked and answered (I hope)

As for the graphics of others:

I greatly appreciate the exceptional talent of others. I thought that I could appreciate
    it even more when it comes to 3d graphics/fractals. Hence the motivation for getting
    advice and counsel. Hey do I really come across like someone who writes there
    own fractal code? Who writes there own structure synth eisenscript scripts? Hell
    no (at least not yet . But I can stand on the shoulders of those creatives who have
    done the heavy lifting. I thought I can stand yet a little higher with some better graphics.
    And if some graphic improvements come to my personal stuff I'll certainly take it. But
    make no mistake if I was only concerned with what I do I'd never make this post.
    By and by, I have 4 3d apps. All of them generate pov-ray files. Makes it very easy
    to render anything in pov-ray. Besides pov-ray comes with lots and lots of examples
    and there are many more examples to download.

much appreciated,
    stephen

what setting is your monitor on and have you calibrated it?

calibration is important - a visual calibration such as is provided by windows 10 may help the monitor colours look better to you [at least you don't yet need to sync two or more ]

type calibrate into the windows 10 search and click on Calibrate display colour Control panel - follow the instructions

do this under what for you are 'normal lighting conditions' - then try it at night with all other lighting off - see which works best

if you have changed any of your monitor settings I would recommend you put them all back to default first before you calibrate - you can then re-tweak them after as necessary
    Nothing lasts forever...

OK, about the software that you are using..

anim8or

Pretty old software with a low hardware requirement:

• Windows WinXP, Vista, Windiws 7, 8 or 10.
    • OpenGL accelerated graphics card or integrated graphics,
    • 512 MB memory, 1 GB recommended.
    • 25MB disk space.

I think your existing machine is fine for this.

Art of Illusion

Again, pretty old software with a low hardware requirement:

• Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10.
    • Free Hard Disk Space: 30 MB of minimum free hard disk space required.
    • Installed Memory: 512 MB of minimum RAM required.
    • Processor: Intel Pentium 4 or later.

I think it's fair to say that this vintage software will also benefit little from any upgrade to your machine.

Blender

Minimum requirements:

• 64-bit dual core 2Ghz CPU with SSE2 support
    • 4 GB RAM
    • 1280×768 display
    • Mouse, trackpad or pen+tablet
    • Graphics card with 1 GB RAM, OpenGL 3.3
    • Less than 10 year old

Your kit easily meets the minimum requirements and is not so far from the recommended requirements.

pov-ray

Requirements are so low, just about anything can run it.

My thoughts.

You are far from a power-user. If you favour POV-ray you may have some issues with the display settings inside the program.

I think generally from what you have said and the software that you use, that your existing system is up to producing anything you are working on. You aren't working on huge scenes with millions of polygons, you aren't trying to create toy-story 4 or Lord of the Rings.

You mention wanting to see eye popping-colours, etc. and you have not once mentioned slow rendering times or sluggish performance otherwise. Your POV-ray settings may need tweaking, possibly calibrating your monitor will help, but really just playing with the display settings may be fine.

If you have eyesight problems a larger display could help. My wife has cataracts and is awaiting an operation. We recently switched from a 43" HD TV to a 55" 4K TV and suddenly things have become a lot clearer for her simply because the display is bigger and the picture processor better at handling contrast and colour.

An SSD will make your system seem more responsive. I'm not sure if a RAM expansion will make much difference if you are using POV-RAY. A bigger monitor, or even a smaller 4K TV set might be useful.

It seems to me that your main issue is with what you see rather than with what you do to get there, so I think the eye-popping colour is down to your display, your POV-ray settings and your artistic ability.
    Last edited by pauland; 17 January 2020 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post

It seems to me that your main issue is with what you see rather than with what you do to get there, so I think the eye-popping colour is down to your display, your POV-ray settings and your artistic ability.
    Thoughtful analysis and advise!

and you have not once mentioned slow rendering times or sluggish performance otherwise
    these things are subjective if you have no benchmark to compare them with. or no other expectation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blender sysreq.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	126133

it will make a difference

but as the main query is regarding colour, the monitior and the render settings are the place to start as has already been said

I thought of cataracts too - if a medical issue exists, then I would be looking to advice from a [medical] professional in the use of computers for such purposes...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    these things are subjective if you have no benchmark to compare them with. or no other expectation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blender sysreq.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	126133

it will make a difference

but as the main query is regarding colour, the monitior and the render settings are the place to start as has already been said

I thought of cataracts too - if a medical issue exists, then I would be looking to advice from a [medical] professional in the use of computers for such purposes...
    I can definitely say that my wife's cataracts ( unsurprisingly ) makes her see everything as being darker than I do. She wasn't aware she had them until she had an eye test. Just over a week ago our change to a larger 4K TV brought out some unexpected enthusiasm from her because the TV picture became clearer.

Her perception of the world as being darker has increased as her cataracts have worsened. Don't get me wrong, she does everything that she could do before, but she's definitely lost some definition and brightness. Roll on her operation.