Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with probably my last rodeo

Hi,
    About 4 years ago I bought my current windows 10 pro system:
    intel 8 core i7-4790 cpu @ 3.60 ghz
    8 gb ram
    graphic card-nvidia geforce gt 720
    monitor-hp w/2207 native resolution 1680 x 1050 at 60 hz. Probably 5 years+ old.

When I bought this system I never dreamed I would get into 2d let alone 3d graphics. But here I am .
    I would like some recommendation on components for a new system that will allow me to get the best visual
    impact from the graphics working within 3d apps like anim8or, art of illusion, blender and renderers native
    to those apps (like cycles, pov-ray etc). My old eyes leave a lot to be desired so I could use all the
    help I can get. In researching this myself I'm finding most recommendations are targeted to gaming
    which is certainly not my priority (at least now it isn't . On top of that is the ever growing plethora
    of these components to choose from. It's rather bewildering to wade thru. And as I do not have
    money to burn I would like to stay under 1400usd (I do not need top tier anything . I'm really trying
    to better appreciate the visual graphics than what my current setup allows.
    I'd really appreciate any feedback.
    stephen

Default Re: Help with probably my last rodeo

Bit of background first so that you have something to base the value of my opinion.
    I build/repair Windows machines for a living, and have done for 18 years. This is good because I know what I'm talking about, but bad because I'm very blasé about swapping out parts.

Presuming you don't have any issues with your current machine:
    Your CPU is powerful enough, which means your motherboard is fine too, along with your version of Windows 10...you've just saved around AU$500.

If you can, find an independent repair shop. The franchise and big box stores are generally useless at this type of thing and simply advise you to buy that brown box on the second shelf. Ask the independent for his advice, but have in mind the following:
    Cloning your Hard Drive onto an SSD. (big speed increase)
    Upgrading your RAM (memory) 16GB if fine, 32 better, 64 waste of time (power increase)
    I wouldn't know about your video card as I don't have any customers who do 3D other than CAD at a professional level, and they use Quadro cards. Maybe overkill, not sure. The GT 720 is a weak card by today's standard.
    I find screens very much a personal preference affair. 4K for sharpness if your 3D software supports it, twin 27" HD for flexibility, single 24" HD for keeping money in your wallet. Wander into Big Box store to see the difference of the ones on display.

I would upgrade memory at least to 16 GB and use rest of the money to buy better graphics card and a decent size 4k monitor. Just about any current gaming graphics card performs well for you intended purpose and there is not much point getting Quadro or similar. ( For example I have Asus Turbo GeForce GTX 1070 on my system and is plenty fast for 3D modelling + pretty much silent in operation. )

Quote Originally Posted by OLD.GEZIER View Post
    Hi,
    8 gb ram
    monitor-hp w/2207 native resolution 1680 x 1050 at 60 hz. Probably 5 years+ old.

When I bought this system I never dreamed I would get into 2d let alone 3d graphics. But here I am .
    I would like some recommendation on components for a new system that will allow me to get the best visual
    impact from the graphics working within 3d apps like anim8or, art of illusion, blender and renderers native
    to those apps (like cycles, pov-ray etc). My old eyes leave a lot to be desired so I could use all the
    help I can get. In researching this myself I'm finding most recommendations are targeted to gaming
    which is certainly not my priority (at least now it isn't . On top of that is the ever growing plethora
    of these components to choose from. It's rather bewildering to wade thru. And as I do not have
    money to burn I would like to stay under 1400usd (I do not need top tier anything . I'm really trying
    to better appreciate the visual graphics than what my current setup allows.
    I'd really appreciate any feedback.
    stephen
    I'd suggest that you do very little to update your system until you actually find it limiting. You could spend a lot of money and still be producing 3D stuff that you could do just as well using the system that you already have. Get into 3D first, spend money later when you understand what you need.

I think you could waste a lot of money for little benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I'd suggest that you do very little to update your system until you actually find it limiting. You could spend a lot of money and still be producing 3D stuff that you could do just as well using the system that you already have. Get into 3D first, spend money later when you understand what you need.

I think you could waste a lot of money for little benefit.

+1
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

If you do find you need to spend money ... then a graphics (video card) upgrade is probably a good idea.

I'd suggest some slightly older video cards that you could pick up at a lower cost. Preferably with 4GB of memory ... Something along the lines of a NVIDIA Geforce GTX1060 or and AMD RX560. They should be plenty good enough.

You didn't say that you needed more speed but as mentioned earlier an SSD would help with that, and maybe another 8GB of RAM.

Apart from that, your processor and by association, your motherboard are more than adequate.

However, as Paul said, Try it out and see how it goes with what you have, then add pieces as necessary. I don't think you need to get a new system.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

not in the computer hardware trade but been building my own windows computers since 1991

upgrading your computer - not possible to give specific advice without knowing what your motherboard actually is; it is unwise to buy a component and assume it will work with your system, you would need to get advice as Chris said

windows 10 that's a given unless you wish to run mac/linux and I see no reason to unless you need a specific program that does not run on windows
    should be fine provided nothing else in the system is throttling it
    8 gb ram
    a bit low, I would say 16 GB minimum, and 32 GB would be better - incidently I have 64 GB and I find that helps with some programs such as SAI/Painter/Harmony - Chris is right to point out the power increase though; it is crucial that your power supply can cope with all of your upgraded components with a margin to spare, and like any kit with fans make sure you buy quiet ones
    this is definately weak, some rendering programs will crawl - mine is GTX 1070, and you will need that sort of GPU power at least, sooner or later for any serious rendering; some of the higher spec graphics cards are also big beasts and will not fit in small cases
    monitor-hp w/2207 native resolution 1680 x 1050 at 60 hz. Probably 5 years+ old
    Personal preference indeed - you can go into respose times and colour gamut, and the display technology, but at the end of the day, if you do not need to fit into a team, your eyes and your viewing are your guide

monitors are not part of the computer, so you can deal with them seperately, which brings me to what paul said, and i would agree that you should not spend money unless you have to

if your computer is getting unacceptably slow then you can then think about upgrading, meanwhile the best move you might make could be a second monitor, once you see the benefit of having your drawing area on one screen and the dialog and option boxes on the second you may never wish to go back - but note, can become a pain if the two monitors are not the same native resolution
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Apologies for being tardy.

"I find screens very much a personal preference affair...Wander into Big Box store to see
    the difference of the ones on display."
    "your eyes and your viewing are your guide"

Subjectivity is a crutch for those that can't read my mind. Really...must I do everything?

When I render an image in mandelbulber or structure synch or any fractal app I would like
    the design/colors to grab me by the cojones. When I render a scene in pov-ray I want to
    be blown away by the richness of the colors. When I use a uv editor to apply textures to
    faces I want that mesh to be alive with the textures. Everything I do now involving color
    "seems" to be wildly under whelming. It does grab me. But by the throat (as in cough, cough).
    On the other hand am I a victim of my own imagination? Have I bought an expectation from
    Nvidia marketing that cannot be realistically met?

Thanks everyone for giving me advice from your considerable knowledge and experience.
    At the end of the day if I pony up and my expectations are met it's on me. If I'm disappointed
    it's on you.

stephen

Quote Originally Posted by OLD.GEZIER View Post
    At the end of the day if I pony up and my expectations are met it's on me. If I'm disappointed
    it's on you.
    Haha, we share the same philosophy to life.

Actually, what you described in partial jest is quite helpful in knowing what you're looking for. The visual effects you describe will have more to do with the screen itself than the hardware pushing the image.

Look for a screen that has a glass panel rather than the 'plastic' feel that is very common. High contrast rate and a bright LED back light will better produce the results you're looking for. I'm not a Dell fanboy, but I do think they supply very bright, crisp panels. I'm sure there's others, but the Dell ones stick in my memory.

Stephen, I think my main concern is that your 3D work may not require as much computer power as you think and as far as I know we haven't seen any examples of what you do.

If your 3D models aren't highly complex (in terms of polygons) your graphics card might be fine and give you good render times. It's really a question of knowing what is holding you back.

It's highly unlikely a beefier machine will make you a better 3D artist. A better hardware spec is probably not going to make POV-ray renders look better - that's down to your skill.