Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site map

Default Site map

If I read things correctly, Xara Web Designer will show the website site map but I can not find it. Help. I'm using the ordinary version.

Default Re: Site map

Xara will only produce a sitemap if you add the site's URL into the box at the bottom of the Publish options.

Web Properties > Publish > Other Web Host (FTP) I'm not sure how it works with either Xara or Magix hosting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Site Map.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	126098

That's a bummer! I export my site to disk and upload from there using FileZilla.
    Not sure how to do it otherwise!
    Of course you get a version from navigation properties too.

You can Google 'create sitemap' and quickly make your own to upload via FZ to the same directory as your site (presuming public_html).

Xara produces a robot.txt, a sitemap.xml and an index.xhl. If you want details of what these file do you will need to wait for someone else to pick up the thread, I only know in a general sense, similar to me knowing what my wife's on about when she says 'Remember that time in 1993 when you said.....'

Not a bummer if Filezillaing.

Go to Web Properties > Publish > Other web host > Settings (Chris's picture) and add in the destination Website URL.
    Click OK twice.

Export and in the folder you will have sitemap.xml & robots.txt.
    The site maps will appear as:
    <urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9"><url>
    <loc>http://xyz.com/index.htm</loc>
    <lastmod>2020-01-13T11:44Z</lastmod>

</url>

</urlset>
    xyz.com is the destination URL I inputted for this one-page test; yours will be more complex.

robots.txt just points to the location of the sitemap: Sitemap: http://xyz.com/sitemap.xml.

Armed with this you could generate your own sitemap, as Chris suggests, and publish over the Xara one.
    Save this file safely elsewhere too and remember to republish and even update if there are changes.

Now you know what can be done, you could just remove the Website URL and publish your sitemap separately; nothing then gets overwritten.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Welcome to TalkGraphics RichardRudd

You can enter the same FTP info that you use for Filezilla and publish and update your site from Xara. There is no need for the extra steps or Filezilla.

Press Help in the Other Web Host Settings menu (or in any menu with a Help button) to see a list of context sensitive options that pertain to that process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftp settings.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	126099  

Slightly tangential, I have index.xhl in the dir of the sites I looked at (all uploaded through Xara), er, what's an index.xhl?

Not positive but I think the index.xhl file addresses what has been changed since the last publish so that the entire site does not get published from scratch every time.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Not positive but I think the index.xhl file addresses what has been changed since the last publish so that the entire site does not get published from scratch every time.
    Positive or not I'm happy to accept that. I've fleetingly considered opening one to see on several occasions, but never mustered enough curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Positive or not I'm happy to accept that. I've fleetingly considered opening one to see on several occasions, but never mustered enough curiosity.
    Chris, go on. Untick Fast Publish and see if the file disappears.

You know you want to open it.

Open the box.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat